What are the dress and personal appearance requirements?
- Cadets are required to wear the uniform one day per week.
- While in uniform, cadets will comply with the basic uniform wear, personal appearance, and grooming standards in accordance with Department of the Air Force Instruction (DAFI) 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel.
- DAFI 36-2903 contains specific rules about dress and appearance, including how to properly wear the uniform and guidance for personal appearance and grooming standards such as:
- hair styles, length, accessories, coloring
- tattoos/brands/body markings
- body piercings
Proper uniform wear and grooming is required of all cadets. Cadets are required to wear the uniform one day per week throughout the school year. Cadets unable or unwilling to wear the uniform and meet the grooming standard will be removed from the program. Uniform and grooming standards are in accordance with Department of the Air Force Instruction 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel. This is HQ AFJROTC policy and not negotiable for cadets or instructors. In general terms, this means a neat, clean-cut haircut and no facial hair (with the exception of a trimmed mustache) for male cadets while in uniform. For female cadets, this means their hair must be styled in compliance with DAFI 36-2903.
The Four Elements of Uniform Wear: Neatness, Cleanliness, Safety, and Military Image