WDMCS Offering State-Approved K-6 Online School Option (07/16/21)
The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) is excited to welcome back our students in August as we kick off the 2021-22 school year. Our staff can’t wait to connect with students and teach in-person.
While students age 12 and over can now receive a COVID-19 vaccine, we acknowledge that elementary-age students are not yet eligible. We understand some families may have health-related concerns about in-person learning. That is why, in addition to encouraging face masks for unvaccinated individuals, WDMCS will offer a state-approved, third-party online education program for students in grades K-6. WDMCS is already offering a virtual option for Tiger Cubs Preschool, starting with the 2021-22 school year.
How is this different from 2020-21?
- We will not have grade-specific online teachers overseeing an entire online classroom.
- Learning is primarily completed independently and does not follow a specific school-day schedule.
- A WDMCS teacher would oversee the work completed and provide guidance but not throughout the day like a virtual classroom setting.
What else do I need to know before signing up?
- Your student’s spot in their neighborhood school will not be saved for the 2021-22 school year.
- You may choose to have your student return to in-person learning at some point during the school year, but you will need to work with your school to determine timing and class placement.
- Your student will not be able to go back and forth between the two learning environments.
- There are no additional fees for your student to select learning online. Federal COVID-19 school funding will be used to cover the costs.
- WDMCS is strongly considering Edgenuity as the third-party provider. Learn more about approved providers on the Iowa Department of Education website.
- A final decision will be made once WDMCS learns how many students sign up for this option.
- The form must be completed by Sunday, July 25, 2021.
- You must still complete our summer enrollment process which updates emergency contact information, student health records, etc. https://discover.wdmcs.org/tiger-enrollment
PLEASE COMPLETE THIS FORM ONLY IF YOU WISH TO SELECT THIS ONLINE LEARNING OPTION FOR YOUR STUDENT.