WDMCS Offering State-Approved K-6 Online School Option (07/16/21)
The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) is excited to welcome back our students in August as we kick off the 2021-22 school year. Our staff can’t wait to connect with students and teach in-person.
While students age 12 and over can now receive a COVID-19 vaccine, we acknowledge that elementary-age students are not yet eligible. We understand some families may have health-related concerns about in-person learning. That is why, in addition to encouraging face masks for unvaccinated individuals, WDMCS will offer a state-approved, third-party online education program for students in grades K-6. WDMCS is already offering a virtual option for Tiger Cubs Preschool, starting with the 2021-22 school year.
How is this different from 2020-21?
- We will not have grade-specific online teachers overseeing an entire online classroom.
- Learning is primarily completed independently and does not follow a specific school-day schedule.
- A WDMCS teacher would oversee the work completed and provide guidance but not throughout the day like a virtual classroom setting.
What else do I need to know before signing up?
- Your student’s spot in their neighborhood school will not be saved for the 2021-22 school year.
- You may choose to have your student return to in-person learning at some point during the school year, but you will need to work with your school to determine timing and class placement.
- Your student will not be able to go back and forth between the two learning environments.
- There are no additional fees for your student to select learning online. Federal COVID-19 school funding will be used to cover the costs.
- WDMCS plans to use Edgenuity as the third-party provider. Learn more about approved providers on the Iowa Department of Education website.
- You must still complete our summer enrollment process which updates emergency contact information, student health records, etc. https://discover.wdmcs.org/tiger-enrollment
How do I request online learning for my student?
Please email our district registrar and Chief Human Resources Officer with your child's name, grade, and school information to request the online learning option for your student.
Chief Human Resources Officer