The Valley Counseling Department has six full-time guidance counselors. The students are assigned to a counselor based on the first letters of the student’s last name. The information to the right indicates how the students are assigned.
Counseling Message Board
Seniors met with counselors September 10th and 11th to cover important information for students who will graduate in May 2020. Follow the link below to view the information presented to seniors.
Juniors will meet with counselors in December 2019* to cover information relevant to every student during their junior year. Follow the link below to view the information presented to juniors during the previous school year. *Date subject to change
Iowa College Aid Senior Year Checklist
Make sure you’re ready for college by the end of the year with this checklist:
* For questions regarding senior schedule, reference the senior letter sent by counselors to all seniors earlier this year.
* Complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at FAFSA.gov as soon after October 1 as possible. Check with your schools of interest for their priority deadline.
* File the Iowa Financial Aid Application. To take advantage of some state-funded grants and scholarships, you must complete the Iowa Financial Aid Application.
* Order AP Tests if taking in May.
* Register for ACT/SAT retake, if needed.
* Prepare a final list of colleges and submit applications.
* Send official high school transcripts to all of colleges to which you are applying. (Order here: bit.ly/vhstranscripts)
* Compare acceptance letters and financial aid awards.
* Choose your college and mail your commitment deposit check—deadline is often May 1.
What is an “RAI score“?
Students from Iowa high schools must have a Regents Admission Index, or RAI, score of at least 245, and take the minimum number of required high school courses to qualify for automatic admission to ISU, UNI, and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the U of I. The index combines factors that strongly predict success at Iowa’s Regent universities. An Alternative RAI Formula is offered for students whose high school does not provide class rank, such as Valley. Follow this link to calculate your student’s RAI Score: Regent Admission Index Calculator for high schools who do NOT provide rank
2019-2020 New Family Cheat Sheet
Is your family new to WDMCS and Valley? Wonder who to call if your student will be absent? Not sure how to get access to Infinite Campus? We’ve put together the answers to many frequently asked questions in one easy spot. Just click on the link to view our 2019-2020 New Family Cheat Sheet.