Advanced Options at Valley Southwoods
Four advanced or compacted core courses are offered for eligible students at Valley Southwoods Freshman High School.
Deciding to take an advanced class is a challenging and exciting decision to make. Most often the best decisions are made when they are well informed and considerate of as many sources of information as possible. Prospective students are encouraged to consider input from their parents/guardians, current and former teachers, counselors, and administration. Students should anticipate that Advanced courses are often conducted at a quicker pace with compacted learning experiences. Students should expect a rigorous learning environment. Please consider the following when weighing a decision to take an advanced class.
- A pattern of strong classroom performance
- Supportive assessment performance
- Examples: Iowa Assessments, Cognitive Abilities Test, Belin-Blank, Summative Assessment Tools (final course exams)
- Student ability to self-advocate
Key Learner Characteristics
- High interest in learning academic subject at an advanced level
- Positive attitude about engaging in challenging academic work both at school and outside of school
- Successful managers of their time (able to multitask, prioritize activities, make deadlines, and balance academic and extracurricular activities well)
- Students who narrowly miss the eligibility requirements may appeal the decision to their junior high principal. The deadline for appeals for students currently enrolled in the district is the last day of the third quarter. No changes will be made after this deadline.