2019 Sports Camps at Indian Hills
The eighth-grade program offers interscholastic competition in football, cross country, wrestling, basketball, track, softball, and volleyball. To participate in the interscholastic sports, a student must have on file in the office:
- a physical exam form signed by the student’s parent and physician
- an emergency card
- completed parental permission form
- a code of conduct form and a concussion form. (All forms are available in the office.)
Interscholastic Opportunities (eight-graders only):
- Basketball (Boys) – Boys basketball is an eight-week season running from the beginning of January through the end of February. Typically, there are six squads. The philosophy behind our program is to teach the fundamentals of basketball, while giving players as much playing time as possible.
- Basketball (Girls) – Girls basketball is an eight-week season running from the end of October through mid-December. Typically, there are three squads, each playing ten games. The philosophy behind our program is to teach the fundamentals of basketball, while giving players as much playing time as possible.
- Cross Country (Boys and Girls) – Cross Country is a unique experience in which students can win in a highly competitive sport. Every runner knows there is no easy way to be a successful cross country runner, and everyone is aware of the work ethic needed to climb that steep hill, burn down the long back stretch, or fly around the wooded corner. Cross Country is an eight-week season starting on the first day of school and ending mid-October.
- Football (Boys) – Football is a fall sport with the emphasis on learning the basic principles and techniques of the game. Some examples are tackling, blocking, passing, catching, and teamwork.
- Track (Boys and Girls) – The track season is seven weeks long, running from the end of March through mid-May, The boys and girls teams compete in seven meets each. Participants can compete in a variety of events, including sprints, distance, hurdles, shot put, discus, long jump, and high jump.
- Volleyball (Girls) – Volleyball is an eight-week season running from the first day of school through mid-October. Typically, there are four squads, each playing nine matches. The philosophy behind our program is to teach the fundamentals of volleyball, while giving players as much playing time as possible.
- Wrestling (Boys) – Indian Hills wrestling continues the strong tradition of athletics at Indian Hills Junior High. By learning basic moves, techniques, and holds, wrestlers train to compete against other schools at wrestling meets. The season runs from October until winter break, with nine meets. Student athletes gain strength, conditioning, and discipline by participating in this sport.
Intramural Sports (seventh- and eighth-graders):
There are intramural programs for all students, including flag football, basketball, Wiffle ball, soccer, volleyball, ping-pong, weight-lifting and many others.
- Indian Hills’s intramural sports and outdoors programs are offered to all Indian Hills students. The programming includes a wide range of sports (football, wrestling, basketball, track and field) and outdoors programming (fishing, cross-country skiing, orienteering, and photography). The focus is on skill development, sportsmanship, relationships, and having fun. Intramurals meet from 2:40 to 3:45 p.m. most Mondays and on various other days during the week. Please check school announcements for Intramural days and activities.