Principal: Tamara Tjeerdsma
Hours: Regular Schedule 8:20 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
Breakfast 7:50 a.m.
Collaboration Schedule: Wednesdays 8:20 a.m.-2:25 p.m.
Preschool: (starts Sept. 4) 8:20-11:05 a.m. and 12:25-3:10 p.m.
Grades served: PK-6
Welcome to Crestview School of Inquiry
It is a genuine honor to have the privilege to serve as the director of Crestview School of Inquiry. As I have heard from multiple sources, Crestview is a “magical place.” I believe that is a tribute to the amazing staff, students, and parents. Crestview has such rich diversity and the incredible collaboration of all stakeholders allows each student to thrive.
As a West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) administrator for several years, I have been able to develop and implement the vision that I would want in any building I am entrusted, including Crestview. I have been, and continue to be, committed to creating the following:
- a safe space where every student can grow and thrive academically and emotionally; a space where truth is spoken over them about their identity and their ability to learn and achieve
- a building where every person feels valued; a place where every member knows they’re a vital member to student achievement and development
- a place where deep learning happens by allowing students and staff to communicate and collaborate, by allowing them to be creative and given engaging critical thinking opportunities, and an opportunity to develop their character and citizenship
- classrooms where there is joy and inspiration for both the students and teachers; a place where they feel safe to take risks to learn and grow
- a collaborative team that will genuinely love and invest in the children with compassion and accountability; one that has high aspirations for each student and provides the supports needed
- a shared leadership team that is willing to learn and implement best practices to ensure student success; one that is willing to partner in professional development and professional learning communities that are purposeful and solution focused
- a strong partnership with all stakeholders, including parents and community members
My passion and mission has always been to equip, encourage, and empower those I am able to serve. This is accomplished and enhanced by a strong collaborative culture. I genuinely believe that we are “Better Together.” I am committed to the children, staff, and families of Crestview, and I look forward to partnering with you to create an amazing school year for OUR children.
Mrs. Tamara Tjeerdsma
Project-Based Learning at Crestview School of Inquiry
Crestview School of Inquiry implements the project-based learning (PBL) framework that encourages all learners to take ownership of their learning by building skills necessary for collaboration, communication, creativity, critical thinking, and problem solving. Students master the core standards through authentic, real-world problems, which provide for deep learning opportunities. As in the past, we will continue our commitment to helping all students learn at high levels. This can only occur through the guidance of our a highly trained staff members who are dedicated to the success of all students.