Elementary Options Second Semester
Before You Decide: What You Need to Know
- Your student may not have the same teacher as first semester. Teachers may need to be reassigned if a class size changes.
- Your student would also have a different teacher if they change learning environments because elementary teachers are assigned either an online class or a class of students at their school.
Different Students in Class?
Your student may not have the same students in their class depending on which families choose to change learning environments.
Students changing to on-site learning for second semester may not be assigned to their home school. Classes at their home school may already be full with students who have been learning on-site all year, or “capped out.” Not all grades are impacted by cap outs, but it is a possibility. If a student is capped out, bus transportation will be provided.
Is Online Learning a Good Fit for Your Student?
Before you decide, answer these questions.
Do You Have What You Need at Home?
- Does your student have adequate internet bandwidth to support virtual meetings without disruption?
- Does your student have a space to work that is quiet, with school supplies and few distractions?
- Does your student have an adult able to help navigate questions, technology issues, or monitor safety online?
If you need technology support, let us know.
Virtual Learning Experience?
- Has your student been successful with managing their time in the virtual classroom?
- Has your student been successful in managing their independent learning and school work in the virtual classroom?
- Has your student been able to find joy in learning online?
- Has your student been able to connect with their virtual teacher in a meaningful way?
Social & Emotional Support?
- Does your student have peers that they feel close to in the virtual classroom?
- Does your student feel as though their teacher or other teaching staff knows them well?
- Does your student have joy in learning?
- Does your student speak positively or have good feelings about learning online?
- Does your student have satisfactory work completion in an online environment?
- Does your student understand the material being taught, with a minimal amount of additional guidance or instruction?
- Do you or an immediate family member have a pre-existing condition that might make them significantly higher risk if exposed to COVID-19?
- Do you follow CDC recommended mitigation strategies at home and in public places?