West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) Nutrition Services makes sure our students get the nutrition they need to learn, play, and grow during the school day—now providing breakfast, lunch, meal pick-up, and a new snack and supper program!
School meals will continue to be free for West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) families during the 2021-22 school year due to a nationwide waiver that allows school districts to continue the Summer Food Service Program through June 2022. Please note: Even though all meals are free, it is still important to apply for free or reduced meals. Many district funds are determined based on this data. Families that qualify and sign a fee waiver will also receive free or reduced transportation and other school fees such as registration fees and driver education.
Meals for On-Site Learners
- Breakfast: After the bell, elementary students will be offered breakfast in the classroom to begin their day.
- Lunch: Students will be able to choose between a hot lunch option (changes daily), a turkey sub sandwich, and yogurt with granola and string cheese.
- All meal choices include a hot vegetable, fruit, and choice of milk.
- Breakfast: just before the start of the school day, secondary students can pick up breakfast in the cafeteria or other designated location based on building.
- Lunch: Students will have several options available each day to build a custom lunch in our cafeteria lines. All food items will be individually packaged or wrapped.
Meal Pick-Up for Online Learners
Meal pick-up will be available for full-time and temporary online learners on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Valley High School. Meal boxes will include three days of breakfast, lunch, snack, and supper. Families may pick up meals on both days.
- Pick-Up Location: Valley High School, 3650 Woodland Ave., West Des Moines
- Pick-Up Times: 7-8 a.m. and 4:30-5:30 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays
To pick up meals:
- Masks are required.
- Enter the parking lot on 39th Street and follow signs to the pick-up door.
- Go to the indoor pick-up kiosk and show a WDMCS student ID number (or have a cashier look it up).
- All children ages 1-18 are eligible to participate as long as they are not receiving meals at school or through another USDA-funded program.
- Parent/guardians can pick up meals on behalf of students.
- For students not enrolled in WDMCS, provide the child's name and school of attendance or indicate that the child is not yet in school.
To request a sign-up form, please contact:
Snack and Supper Program
WDMCS has received approval to participate in the after-school snack and supper program! This means that a snack and supper meal kit will be provided to students free of charge through the end of the school year.
- individually packaged cracker item like Goldfish, Teddy Grahams, or Animal Crackers
- a juice box
- an entrée item
- fruits and vegetables
- an educational activity
Sign Up for the Snack and Supper Program
Students will be automatically signed up if:
- They attend Kids West
- Kids West students will receive their snack at Kids West and the option to take home a supper kit when leaving for the day.
- They are enrolled at:
- Clive Learning Academy or Crestview School of Inquiry
- Hillside or Western Hills elementary schools (Hillside will start participation on Jan. 11.)
- Indian Hills Junior High
- Valley Southwoods Freshman High School
- Valley High School or Walnut Creek Campus
At automatic sign-up schools, snacks and supper will be delivered to elementary classrooms like breakfast. Junior high students will pick up snack and supper kits after dismissal. High school students will pick up during lunch.
Fill out our online sign-up form if your student attends:
- Crossroads, Fairmeadows, Jordan Creek, or Westridge elementary school
- Stilwell Junior High
At voluntary sign-up schools, elementary students will be dismissed to pick up snacks and supper from Kids West before going to the bus, ride home, etc. Junior high students will pick up snack and supper kits after dismissal. High school students will pick up during lunch.
Nutrition Services Director
Assistant Director of Nutrition Services
Indian Hills Junior High Kitchen Manager
Valley Southwoods Kitchen Manager
Stillwell Junior High Kitchen Manager
Valley Kitchen Manager
If your child has a disability or life-threatening food allergy as determined by a licensed physician and this prevents the child from eating regular school meals, we will make substitutions prescribed by the licensed physician at no extra charge for the meal. Special diet orders will be honored until an updated form is completed or a statement from the physician discontinuing the order has been received. It is no longer necessary to provide documentation on an annual basis. Send the completed form to:
Learning Resource Center
3550 Mills Civic Parkway
West Des Moines, IA 50265
WDMCS Nutrition Services participates in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Child Nutrition Programs. Our meals and snacks must meet the standards set forth by the USDA.