From Olympic gold medalists to award-winning authors, the West Des Moines Community Schools has a history of excellence both inside and outside the classroom. Former students such as Olympian Shawn Johnson, “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” author Peter Hedges, Motown artist Carrie McDowell-Hodge, and American Idol contestant Katelyn Epperly provide our students true success stories they can look to and know they can also reach for the stars.
We love to stay connected with our graduates and find ways to celebrate their accomplishments long after they receive their diploma.
Athletic Wall of Fame
Valley High School also has a Wall of Fame for students who have become state champions in individual events or have been named 1st Team All-State in a team sport. Also, teams that win a state title are also recognized and placed on the Wall of Fame. Over 95 teams have won state championships at Valley High School, the most in the state of Iowa.
The Wall of Fame is located at Valley High School. The most recent 10 years of recipients line the walls near the Fieldhouse. All other years can be viewed on a kiosk.
Hall of Honor
The Valley High School Hall of Honor was established to recognize outstanding alumni, educators, and community leaders who, through achievements, endeavors, leadership, and character, are positive role models for the student body of the West Des Moines Community Schools. These individuals have specifically dedicated their time and made significant contributions to the Valley High School community.
The 2020-21 Hall of Honor is postponed for this year due to COVID-19. We wish to honor our recipients with an event at Valley High School and are unable to do that this year. We look forward to hosting a 2021-22 Hall of Honor event.
Hall of Honor Criteria
- Must be an alumnus of Valley High School who, through various endeavors, is a positive role model for the student body and has been graduated from Valley High School for 10 years or more. The award may be given posthumously.
- Must have contributed to his or her community in an exemplary manner by demonstrating leadership, character, and service to their local community and/or profession.
- Must have achieved outstanding success in Academics, Arts, Activities, or Athletics.
- Must be a role model that current and future generations of West Des Moines Community Schools students can emulate.
Valley High School Retired Staff Criteria
- Must have been a staff member at Valley High School for 10 years or more. The award may be given posthumously.
- Must be recognized as being a positive role model and person of character and have demonstrated leadership.
- Must have been recognized as being a person of uncommon dedication, going beyond the call of duty to assist students, staff, and/or parents.
- Must have retired or resigned before being considered for nomination.
- Must be a patron/benefactor/community leader of the West Des Moines Community Schools or the West Des Moines community and have contributed to Valley High School in an exemplary manner. The award may be given posthumously.
- Must demonstrate leadership, character, and service to their local community and be a positive role model and person of character for community members and West Des Moines Community Schools students to emulate.
- Must achieve outstanding success in business, athletics, education, the arts, humanitarian efforts, community service, or other endeavors.