Welcome to the West Des Moines Community Schools!
To start enrolling a student, please fill out our online enrollment form in Infinite Campus.
Online enrollment for incoming 2022-23 kindergartners will open on Nov. 1, 2021.
WDMCS will begin taking new family enrollments for the 2022-23 year in January 2022.
Step 1: Gather Information
You will need certain information and documents to get started. Documents can be scanned and uploaded online or mailed to/dropped off at the Registrar’s Office at the Learning Resource Center – 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines.
You will need:
- Proof of residency. The student’s and parent/guardian’s names and addresses must match on proof of residency documents, listed below.
- Immunization Records. Iowa law requires parent/guardians to verify certain immunizations. Required Immunizations (based on age)
- Health History. Please enter general health history information for each student, including names of medications.
- Do Not Release Information. You will be asked if photos or videos of your student can be taken. In addition, this allows student information to be listed in school yearbooks and directories.
- Proof of Age. Proof of age is required for all new WDMCS students. Documents are listed below.
Step 2: Enroll Your New Student
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR APPLE USERS: Any Apple product will need to use the FREE Puffin browser app to complete online enrollment.
A new WDMCS student is one who is enrolling in WDMCS directly after attending another district. New students can enroll year-round but most enroll for a new year during the summer. Once submitted, we will contact your child’s prior school (if applicable) to request their records. We must have their records before your child can start attending WDMCS.
Proof of Residency
All new students entering WDMCS must provide the proper documentation to establish proof of residency. The name and address on these documents must match the name and address of the parent or legal guardian of the student(s) being registered. Acceptable proof of residency documents are:
One of the following:
- Printed verification page from the Polk County Assessor’s web page.
- A copy of your most recently paid property tax bill.
- A copy of a recent mortgage statement.
- A copy of a utility bill for the last of current month.
Recently closed on a new home
A copy of the settlement statement from closing or a warranty deed.
Recently made an offer on a home
A purchase agreement showing the closing date on your home. Upon closing on yor home, provide a closing document to the Registrar.
One of the following:
- A copy of your lease agreement with the term listed. The agreement MUST contain property owner’s name, address and signature; and name and signature of parent/guardian.
- A utility bill for the last or current month, mailed to your address within WDMCS boundaries.
Renter without a lease (on a month-to-month basis)
- A utility bill for the last or current month, mailed to your address.
Proof of Age Requirements
Proof of age is required for all new students to WDMCS. In Iowa, a child must be five years old on or before September 15 of the year he or she starts school in order to enroll in kindergarten. Proof of age is requested at Kindergarten Roundup and required prior to the start of school. For students in grades one through 12, proof is also required before your child can start attending school.
Several options are acceptable:
- A state birth certificate
- A passport
- Adoption papers
- A certificate obtained from the county the child was born.
- For Polk County: Polk County Recorder’s Office, 111 Court Ave., Room 245, Des Moines, IA 50309-2251; Phone: 286-3781; Cost is $20
- A state certificate can be obtained from: Iowa Vital Records Bureau, Lucas State Office Building 321 E. 12th, Des Moines, IA 50319; Phone: 281-4944; Cost is $20