The West Des Moines Community Schools Board of Education approved the following fees for the 2022-23 school year on April 11, 2022. These fees are effective July 1, 2022.
Each school may have optional items to purchase. These items should be listed online under your student’s school.
Student Fee Waiver
NOTE: If you believe you may qualify for fee waivers, please DO NOT pay fees until you fill out 2022-23 fee waiver and free/reduced meal applications. These applications do not open until July.
Families who qualify for free and reduced lunch are also eligible for reduced fees. Qualifying families must complete a student fees waiver annually to have student fees waived.
- Grades K-6: $60/year ($42/year reduced rate)
- Grades 7-8: $70/year ($49/year reduced rate)
- Grades 9-12: $90/year ($63/year reduced rate)
*Textbook fees may be used toward various instructional materials including, but not limited to, books, electronic textbooks, computer software or applications, laptops, and other computing devices used for instructional purposes.
- Annual Round-Trip: $490 ($343 reduced rate)
- Annual One-Way: $255 ($178 reduced rate)
- Quarterly Round-Trip: $123 ($86 reduced rate)
- Quarterly One-Way: $64 ($45 reduced rate)
- Replacement Bus Pass: first time is free, then $10
- Strings/Band Rental: $65/year or $33/semester ($45/year or $23/semester reduced rate)
- Percussion Rental: $50/year or $25/semester ($35/year or $17/semester reduced rate)
- 1:1 Chromebook: no cost to family
- Chromebook Full Replacement: $346 or the actual cost of replacement at the time of the damage
- Chromebook Case Replacement: $22 or the actual cost of replacement at the time of damage or if lost.
- Chromebook Charger Replacement: $22 or the actual cost of replacement at the time of the damage or if lost.
- Book Rebinding: actual cost
- Lost Book or Paperback Book: original cost
- Library Fines: Varies
- Insufficient Check Charge: $30^
- Home Schooling: $11/class for a full semester ($6/class for a quarter)
^Subject to change based on current overdraft charges from the bank.
Breakfast Prices (where available)
- Grades PK-6: $2.25 ($.30* reduced rate)
- Grades 7-12: $2.35 ($.30* reduced rate)
- Adults: $2.70
Lunch with Milk Prices
- Grades PK-6: $3.20 ($.40* reduced rate)
- Grades 7-12: $3.30 ($.40* reduced rate)
- Adults: $4.25
*Required by law
- Student Activity Ticket (9-12): $60/year (no cost reduced rate); optional and nonrefundable
- Student Activity Ticket (7-8): $40/year (no cost reduced rate); optional and nonrefundable
- P.E. Lock Replacement: $6
- Driver Education**: $365 ($109.50 reduced fee)
- Driver Education if paying by credit card**: $375 ($119.50 reduced fee)
- Summer School Classes at Valley/Walnut Creek (In-District Student): $225 ($157 reduced fee)
- Summer School Classes at Valley/Walnut Creek (Out-of-District Student): $275 ($192 reduced fee)
- Student Transcript: first two free, then $5
- Tech. Ed. Lock Replacement: $10
- Valley Student ID Replacement: first time free, then $5
- Valley Cap and Gown: $50 ($35 reduced fee)
**The district’s agreement with Street Smarts (driver education provider) could result in higher fees if fuel prices reach a specified level or if the state requires expanded curriculum and/or drive times. The WDMCS Board of Education would first have to approve the higher fees.
(Subject to change based on district cost)
- CPR Certification: $5 ($5 reduced fee)
- Lifeguard Certification: $40 ($40 reduced fee)
- Valley Interior Design Portfolio: $10 ($10 reduced fee)
- Valley FCS Chef Coat and Hat: $34 ($34 reduced fee)
- AMC Math Test: $5 ($5 reduced fee)
- AP Exam Fee: $95 ($27 reduced fee)
- Biliteracy Seal Assessment Test: $10-$20 ($7-$14 reduced fee)
- DMACC Class: $100 ($70 reduced fee)
- PSAT: $27 ($27 reduced fee)
Valley/Valley Southwoods Parking Fines
- Falsification: $20
- Failure to Register: $20
- Unauthorized Area: $20
- Illegal Parking: $20
- Illegal Parking in Handicap Space: $100
- Replacement Parking Tag: $10
- Valley Yearbook: $60 (order by Jan. 15); optional
- Valley Southwoods Yearbook: $35; optional
- Junior High Yearbooks: $30; optional