District Newsletters & Podcasts
We are ALL WDMCS Newsletters
Don’t miss out on all the important information for WDMCS families in our We are ALL WDMCS newsletters.
If you do not already receive the West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) monthly newsletter as a parent/guardian, student, or employee, you can sign-up to be added to our email list. Note: Although this is a monthly newsletter, we periodically distribute this publication more often, based on need.
Let's Talk WDMCS and Earning Your Stripes Podcasts
West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) hosts two podcasts. Let's Talk WDMCS digs deeper into education topics. Earning Your Stripes is hosted by Superintendent Matt Adams. In this series, Dr. Adams will interview students, staff, parents, and community leaders. Each plays an important role in supporting student success.
We are ALL WDMCS: 2021-22 Newsletters
- May 27, 2022 — Summer opportunities, enroll for 2022-23, summer meals, and more.
- May 6, 2022 — New superintendent announcement, staff recognition, new library rules, Preschool Palooza, and more.
- April 1, 2022 — Impact of Art, ISASP testing, superintendent search updates, staff recognition, and more.
- March 4, 2022 — Return-to-Learn plan, superintendent search updates, Mental Health matters event, and more.
- Feb. 11, 2022 — vaccine availability, Black History Month videos, sub spotlight, and more.
- Jan. 14, 2022 — Return-to-Learn plan updates, health reminders, 2022-23 calendar, and more.
- Nov. 23, 2021 — Video message from Supt. Remy, 2022-23 calendar, COVID-19 updates, & more.
- Nov. 5, 2021 — School board election results, weekend fun with football playoffs and school plays, COVID-19 updates, and more.
- Oct. 19, 2021 — Weather notice test, plan for "snow days", LGBTQIA+ students family groups, National Principals' Month
- Sept. 24, 2021 — Homecoming, community updates, equity info., and more.
- Aug. 27, 2021 — COVID-19 safety plans and resources, first day of school photos, Valley football season opener details, and more.
- Aug. 6, 2021 — New administrators, COVID-19 update, back-to-school events, and more.
We are ALL WDMCS: 2020-21 Newsletters
When the coronavirus pandemic impacted WDMCS, we temporarily transitioned our communication format to be for both families and staff.
- July 1, 2021 – 2021-22 Enrollment Edition, step-by-step instructions for Tiger Enrollment, Tiger Access, and Tiger Launch, Back-to-School overviews.
- June 1, 2021 – Student and retiree stories, Valley and Walnut Creek graduation photos, last day of school reminders and summer plans.
- May 8, 2021 – Levi Janssen fature, spring activities at WDMCS, Chromebook summer plans, transportation registration, WDMCS staff recognition.
- April 2, 2021 – Valley greenhouse feature, Conditions for Learning survey, IASB survey, WDMCS Foundation letter.
- March 24, 2021 – WDMCS statement in response to Atlanta shooting, stay home if sick reminder, IASB school improvement needs assessment, COVID-19/spectator guidelines for WDMCS spring sports, Booster Pak Eat-a-thon.
- March 5, 2021 – Board to vote on final budget reduction recommendations, WDMCS/MercyOne vaccine clinics, spring break travel guidance, new websites to launch.
- Feb. 5, 2021 – Should WDMCS offer a virtual school, Kids West registration dates, Black History Month, budget reduction update.
- Jan. 7, 2021 – unity during difficult times, second-semester reminders, and more.
- Dec. 17, 2020 – No school Dec. 22, second semester plans, budget reduction process, calendar updates.
- Dec. 3, 2020 – Waiver approved to remain online, special Board meeting announcement, online learning feature story, second semester bus fees waived, second semester plans.
- Nov. 24, 2020 – Potential online learning extension, reporting COVID-19 cases, community resources, free meals information.
- Nov. 13, 2020 – Waiver approved to transition online Nov. 16, support resources during online learning transition, athletics and activities update, second semester choice update.
- Nov. 6. 2020 – Face masks required starting Nov. 9, Second semester choice, 2020-21 calendar update, community resources for parents.
- Oct. 1, 2020 – Quarantine rule changes, new COVID-19 hotline, Valleyfest XLI information, and more.
- Sept. 25, 2020 – Hall of Honor postponed, COVID-19 Dashboard FAQs, Polk County percentages clarification for temporarily transitioning online.
- Sept. 18, 2020 – 2020 Homecoming, Valley Mask BANDITs, tech help for multilingual learners.
- Sept. 9, 2020 – COVID-19 dashboard, no school Sept. 14, Homecoming info, and more.
- Sept. 3, 2020 – No school Sept. 4-7 reminder, Tiger Cubs Preschool Sept. 8 start date, online learning environment deadline notice, WDMCS COVID-19 dashboard to launch week of Sept. 8.
- Aug. 28, 2020 – Photos, stories from first week of school, new COVID-19 exposure flowchart, student placements online through Sept. 4.
- Aug. 21, 2020 – WDMCS visions for 2020-21 video, teacher assignment update, bus info., new health guidelines, Nutrition updates, Canvas help, and helping kids adjust to face coverings.
- Aug. 14, 2020 – Updates on the first day of school, our new equity director, guidance for COVID-19 exposure, elementary updates, and more.
- Aug. 7, 2020 – Return-to-Learn video, on-site vs. online data, junior high block scheduling, new start date proposed.
- July 30, 2020 – updated guidance from health and education experts, enrollment vs. choosing online/on-site, return-to-learn percentages to date, return-to-learn workshop on Aug. 5.
- July 24, 2020 – on-site/online choice survey reminder, return-to-learn FAQs and percentages to date, July 23 CDC guidance on reopening schools, equity town halls.
- July 10, 2020 – 2020-21 enrollment information, Hybrid Option 2 details, school supply lists, transportation registration, PTO mask orders.
- July 2, 2020 – WDMCS Return-to-Learn Plan.