Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
In partnership with students, staff, and the community, West Des Moines Community Schools is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive learning environment where all students and staff can belong and thrive.
Led by Executive Director of Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity Anthony Ferguson, Jr., Ed.D., the district is actively engaged in ongoing equity training and learning opportunities for students and staff. Our current work is driven by six actions for equity and guided by the Deep Equity Framework. Equity work is supported by equity leads and teams at each of our school buildings.
Our Latest Update
Dr. Ferguson will present his plan for "Narrowing Our Focus" in summer and fall 2021 to the Board of Education on June 14, 2021.
Oct. 8, 2021 | WDMCS Community Education partnered with Iowa State University's Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers to bring a Noche de Ciencias to WDMCS’ Spanish-speaking families.
Aug. 31, 2021 | WDMCS Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity e-newsletter
April 20, 2021 | Since George Floyd’s death on May 25, 2020, we as a nation, community, and school district witnessed outrage, anger, fear, and a demand for change. We must continue to stand together as a WDMCS community, and have tough conversations as we seek to heal.
This past week, a shooting in Atlanta killed eight people, six of them Asian women. West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) stands in support of and solidarity with our Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) students, families, staff, and the broader AAPI community.
Feb. 24, 2021 | Valley High School student group Community of Racial Equity (CORE) for Advancement is teaching its school community about these and other inspiring Black Americans in daily video announcements during Black History Month 2021.
Feb. 15, 2021 | If you’ve ever walked through the hallways of Hillside Elementary, chances are you were immediately greeted by Samuel Alier’s kind-hearted presence and warm embrace.
Building Equity Leads
- Clive Learning Academy: Kim Alowitz
- Crestview School of Inquiry: Joan Severe
- Crossroads Park Elementary: Christie Engelbert
- Fairmeadows Elementary: Abby Purdom
- Hillside Elementary: Chelsea Hayes
- Jordan Creek Elementary: Alex Dvorak
- Western Hills Elementary: Sheryl Reed
- Westridge Elementary: Elizabeth Riche
- Indian Hills Junior High: Adam Liker-Hill
- Stilwell Junior High: Sarah Cooper
- Valley Southwoods Freshman High School: Ann Miles
- Valley High School: Erin Perry
- Walnut Creek Campus: Leah Lingren