About Clive Learning Academy
Clive Learning Academy is where several communities come together as a school family.
We have a unique attendance area. Our school is not in the City of Clive, but in the City of Windsor Heights, and we are part of the West Des Moines Community Schools. We include students who live in Windsor Heights, Urbandale, and the Clive area around Indian Hills. It is the school community that unifies us.
Formerly Clive Elementary, Clive Learning Academy became a Project-Based Learning Network (formerly New Tech) school in 2015-16. At Project-Based Learning Network schools, students learn through real-world projects, and all children are assigned a personal digital device.
1600 73rd St.
Windsor Heights, IA 50324
HOURS: 9:05 a.m.-3:55 p.m.
COLLABORATION SCHEDULE: Wednesdays 9:05 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
PRESCHOOL: 9:05-11:50 a.m. and 1:10-3:55 p.m.
- Clive Elementary started as Mott School around the turn of the century on the corner of 73rd and University.
- The growth of the coal mines in the area made it necessary to build a larger building on the corner of 86th and University. This building burned and a temporary school (part of the Clive Rural School District) was built in 1951-52. The new school was a five-room building located at 1600 73rd Street, a gravel road at that time. Several phases have been added to the Clive structure over the years. Additions were made in 1955, 1957, 1976, 1989, and 1991.
- One of the first teachers was Mr. W.F. Howe of Clive.
- In 1917 the school was lighted with new oil lamps attached to wall brackets. The enrollment now had jumped to 112 students, and 2 teachers were necessary. One of the teachers, Mr. B.B. Howell, was receiving a salary of $55.00 a month plus $5.00 for stoking the furnace.
- Then came 1930 and the organization of the Parent Teacher Association (P.T.A). Mrs. G.B. Coon was the first president. At the first meeting, the PTA joined hands with the National Congress of Parents and Teachers, all working for one cause – the welfare of children.
- During the second term of the PTA the group planned to follow the Seven Objectives of Education. Heath was one of the objectives and volunteer member of the PTA took the children to City Hall for vaccinations and inoculations. This was repeated for several years.
- Around 1932 the first hot lunch program in Iowa was inaugurated in our school an experimental basis. A Mother’s Club, which was a group within the PTA, was formed as a volunteer group to prepare and serve the lunches. This was done on a two burner stove. The mothers met at school and canned fruits and vegetables donated by members of the community. This continued until 1951 when the School Board agreed by sponsor the hot lunch program.
- A “Carnival” has been an annual event at Clive School. The original one was held on Halloween for the purpose of entertaining the children and keeping them off the streets.
- In August, 1953 we moved to our present location, less than a mile away from the original school of 1912.
- With the increasing growth of the Clive community, in February, 1957 the Clive School Board approved a $140,000 addition to our school. This addition would house seven classrooms and a new heating plant. Our Enrollment at that time was 360 students.
- In March, 1958 a new state law mandated that all school districts that did not have school would be placed in a high school district. At a joint meeting between the Clive and West Des Moines Boards, it was urged that the two school district merge. Students graduating from 8th grade at Clive attended high school on a tuition basis of $435 per year, which was paid by the Clive School District. The students went to Valley High or Roosevelt.
- In 2005, the district completed a $7.5 million dollar remodeling project at Clive Elementary. It provided larger classrooms, air conditioning, better traffic flow, more parking, and a total upgrade of the building environment.
- In 2015-16, Clive Elementary became a Project-Based Learning Network school and changed its name to Clive Learning Academy. Students learn through real-world projects, and all children are assigned a personal digital device.