I-CARE is a service learning program that provides opportunities for junior high students to volunteer during their study hall. Projects for local nonprofits are brought to school by the service learning coordinators.
I-Care is typically offered one day per week at each junior high, alternating on orange and black days. Students do not miss any regularly scheduled classes or school events while participating.
Some of the service learning projects include:
- Projects for AHeinz57 Pet Rescue, Furry Friends, and the Animal Rescue League
- Planting flowers/general yard maintenance at school (weather permitting)
- Helping with projects from Meals From The Heartland
- Making care packages for first responders and healthcare workers.
- Upcycled t-shirt bags for area food pantries.
- Craft kits for local hospitals.
- Creating Veteran's Day cards for the community.
I-CARE coordinators also work closely with building principals and teachers to provide additional opportunities for service or volunteerism.
I-CARE Service Learning Coordinator at Stillwell
I-CARE Service Learning Coordinator at Indian Hills
Learning Resource Center
3550 Mills Civic Parkway
West Des Moines, IA 50265