I-CARE is a service learning program that provides opportunities for junior high students to volunteer during their study hall. During the 20-21 school year, students will not leave the school property to participate in I-CARE. Instead, projects for local nonprofits will be brought to school by the service learning coordinators.
Social distancing and appropriate PPE will be required of all students, as well as handwashing or hand sanitizer use when appropriate.
Students will participate during study halls each semester. They do not miss any regularly scheduled classes or school events. If you would like your child to participate, please use the online form to sign up now.
Some of the service learning projects include:
- Helping with media center or other school-based projects
- Projects for AHeinz57 Pet Rescue, Furry Friends, and the Animal Rescue League
- Planting flowers/general yard maintenance at school (weather permitting)
- Making birthday and appreciation cards for staff
- Helping with projects from Meals From The Heartland
- Making care packages for Central Iowa Shelter and Services or the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus
- Making videos of reading books for younger students
I-CARE coordinators also work closely with building principals and teachers to provide school-wide days of service or volunteerism.