Elementary School Expectations
Western Hills Arrival/Dismissal/Parking
Please have your students arrive no earlier than 8:55 am as that is the time adult supervision begins. Students should enter through the main entrance off of 39th street or at the two doors on the north side of the building. All other doors will be locked as a safety measure. The first bell to begin the day starts at 9:05 and students arriving after 9:05 will be tardy. Dismissal is 3:55 pm (IMPORTANT: Wednesday Early Dismissal is 3:10).
Car riders: To keep students safe and traffic moving, please have students seated on the passenger side of the car. When dropping off a safety patrol member will open the car door to let your student out. Please remain in the car so that the line moves as quickly as possible. All students will need to enter using the doors by the drop off and pickup area.
To exit the building, students will be at their grade level cone by the same doors used for drop off. Please pull up to the cone, have your student get into the car, and then pull away using the second lane to the left. Students with multiple siblings will go to the youngest siblings cone and wait together. Please do not exit your car.
Parking: If you need to enter the office, please park by the front of the building in designated parking spaces.
Western Hills Student Meals/Menus
Offered daily 30 minutes prior to the bell. Students can select from a minimum of three entrée choices:
- alternating main entrée choice;
- cold breakfast consisting of cereal and toast;
- yogurt and toast option.
- Assorted flavors of 8 oz. milk.
- Fruit and or vegetable choices including 100% juice.
- Breads/grains in the form of cereal, toast, pancakes, etc., and/or meat or meat alternate.
Breakfast is served each day from 8:35-9:05 a.m. Only students eating breakfast will be allowed in the building before 8:55 a.m. Students entering the building before 8:55 a.m. should not go to their locker or classroom first but should go straight to the cafeteria where breakfast is served and supervision is provided. At 8:55 a.m., students will be dismissed to their classrooms. After the 9:05 a.m. tardy bell, elementary students can check into the office and get a breakfast pass for a grab-and-go cold breakfast.
Breakfast cost for all K-6th graders at Western Hills will be FREE this year thanks to a grant obtained for some WDMCS schools.
Students can select from a hot lunch option, cold lunch option, or a yogurt/granola and string cheese entree kit.
- Choices also include a hot vegetable, cold fruits and vegetables, and their choice of milk (skim, skim chocolate, or 1%).
- Students will pick the meal they would like as they go through the line (no preordering).
- Students bringing lunch from home can supplement their meal with fruits,
Lunch cost for all K-6th graders at Western Hills will be FREE this year thanks to a grant obtained for some WDMCS schools.
Eating Lunch with Students
- Families are invited to eat lunch with their child throughout the school year.
- Bring a sack lunch or pay for your lunch as you go through the lunch line using your child’s nutrition account or in cash with exact change or small bills.
- Please call the school office by 9:15 a.m. of the morning you will be joining us.
- We may limit the number of families who may eat lunch on a particular day based on space and/or meal availability.
For a special occasion, such as a child’s birthday, we invite you to bring lunch from a restaurant for you and/or your child. However, we will find a quiet area in the building or on school grounds separate from the lunchroom for you to eat. Families are welcome to take their child out for lunch during their specific lunch/recess time. veggies, and milk (at least three items) from the cafeteria line.