New Students Grades 1-12
How Do I Register My Child for School?
Step 2: Help us confirm where you live by providing proof of residency
Step 3: Submit your child’s immunization record with the required immunizations
Step 4: Submit a Proof of Age document
Step 5: Submit the Dental Screening Form (PDF) (9th grade only)
Step 6: Health History (PDFs) (grades K-9)
For grades 10-12, the health history form can be picked up at the Registrar’s Office at the Learning Resource Center or the Valley Health Office.
Step 7: Take the Language Survey
Please note that there are 22 different languages to choose from.
- en español: Aviso Sobre Diseminar Información y Fotografías (PDF) y Formulario de No Diseminar Información (PDF)
Step 9: Complete the Transportation Form (PDF) (if applicable)
Please submit all information to Joy Zuber at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50265. Once submitted, we will contact your child’s prior school to request their records. We must have their records before your child can start attending the WDMCS.
What Happens Next?
- Schools are assigned based on the student’s home address. If you are unsure which school your child should attend, check the district boundary map. You may also call the district registrar at 515-633-5101 to learn which area school your child will attend.
- Kindergarten-grade 3 are limited to 26 students per classroom and grades 4-6 are limited to 28. Because of this, some of our elementary buildings do get full. If a neighborhood school is full, a newly enrolled student may be assigned or “capped-out” to another elementary building. Students who are capped-out receive free transportation.
- Check the fall registration dates and any open house dates and plan to attend to learn more about your student’s school.
- Learn more about our curriculum.