The West Des Moines Community Schools Board of Education is here to serve you and govern the school district.
- The school board is made up of seven individuals representing the families and citizens of our community.
- The members are elected at-large by residents of our district community.
- They receive no compensation for their service.
- Each school board member is elected for a term of four years. Terms are staggered to ensure continuity of leadership.
- Elections are held bi-annually in odd-numbered years on the second Tuesday in September.
The role of the school board is to:
- Set policy for the school district.
- Select an executive officer and delegate to that officer the authority for carrying out the policies, plans, and administrative details.
- Determine the operational efficiency of the schools not only in dollars and cents but also in the results of instruction.