Welcome to Kindergarten
Welcome to WDMCS kindergarten! Kindergarten is a big step in life’s journey. It is a time of discovery and change for your child and for your family.
Thank you for choosing to take your kindergarten journey with the WDMCS. We are excited to have you!
WDMCS will open up online kindergarten enrollment on Nov. 1. The earlier you complete the online forms, the sooner we can hold a spot for your child on next year’s kindergarten class list.
Kindergarten Dual Language Spanish Immersion
One of the unique excellent opportunities WDMCS offers is a Dual Language Spanish Immersion program. The program starts in kindergarten at Western Hills Elementary, but students from other attendance areas may be able to join the program.
The Dual Language Spanish Immersion program offers 50/50 instruction, meaning students learn in English half the time and Spanish half the time. About half of the students are native Spanish speakers, and half come from other language backgrounds. The program promotes high academic achievement in both English and Spanish in an environment that embraces diversity and strives for excellence.
Interested in Dual Language Spanish Immersion?
Students are selected based on enrollment date and home language (maintaining 50% of the class as native Spanish speakers and 50% from other language backgrounds). Families express interest in the program on their online form upon enrolling with the district. A waiting list is maintained. Enrollment decisions will be in the following priority order:
- Students within the Western Hills school boundaries.
- Students with siblings already in the program.
- All other students registering with the WDMCS.
Initial decisions about program placement will be made beginning in January. Students and families selected for the program will be contacted to confirm their placement.
After you learn your placement, you’ll be able to complete Tiger Access—”next steps” for families after enrollment—and attend your school’s Kindergarten Roundup and Experience.
About Student Placement
Students are assigned to a school based on their home address and available space. Any student placed on our list after a building is full will be assigned—or “capped out”—to another elementary building in our district. Students who are capped out receive free transportation.
Parents can request a voluntary transfer, but we cannot guarantee placement at a requested school. We will not know if there are openings at a requested school until early August.
Schools enroll students within their boundary areas and capped-out students from other buildings before placing students who voluntarily come from a different district or school.
School Placement—Quick Reference
- Cap Out: lives in one WDMCS school attendance area, is assigned to another WDMCS elementary because the classrooms are full at the original school, receives free transportation.
- Voluntary Transfer: lives in one WDMCS attendance area, requests to attend another WDMCS elementary, approved families agree to limited transportation options from the district
- Open Enrollment: lives in one district but requests to attend another, approved families agree to limited transportation options from the district, receives school assignment in the summer
- Open enrollment acceptance is based on available space and subject to requirements set by state law.
If you have questions about cap outs, voluntary transfers, or open enrollment, please call District Registrar Joy Zuber at 515-633-5101.