File Application(s) According to Deadlines
- File the Application Form with resident and receiving district for students who want to open enroll for the current school year.
- File the Application Form with resident and receiving district on or before March 1 of the school year prior to the open enrollment year.
- Good Cause – File the application form with both districts by September 1 if good cause applies because of a change in the student’s residence or change in status of the resident district or nonpublic school of attendance after March 1 of the prior school year.
- Kindergarten Students – File the application form with both districts by September 1 of the school year in which open enrollment is requested if the application is for a kindergarten student.
- Special Education – Be sure to indicate whether or not the student is in a special education program.
- Requesting a Specific School – A specific school may be requested with the understanding the district doesn’t have to honor the request. Building assignments will be reviewed each year following registration.
- Transportation – Parent/guardians must provide transportation. To learn if you meet economic eligibility requirements, apply with resident district for transportation assistance.
- Changing Receiving District (district open enrolling to) – File a petition with the receiving district by March 1 of the prior school year.
- Change of Residence – Notify both districts if there is a change in the residence of the student during the open enrollment period.
Terminating Open Enrollment
- If terminating the open enrollment, notify both districts involved in writing.
Appeal Process if Denied
- If open enrollment is denied by either the resident or receiving district, the parent/guardian may appeal to the State Board of Education if the request is due to repeated acts of harassment or if the child has a serious health condition that the resident district cannot adequately address. All other appeals must be made to an Iowa District Court.