K-12 New Families Tiger Enrollment
How Do I Enroll My Child For the First Time?
Step 1: Gather the following information to complete online registration.
Any documents can be scanned and uploaded online. You can also mail or drop off a copy of this document to the Registrar’s Office at the Learning Resource Center – 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines.
- Proof of residency. All new students must provide the proper documentation to establish proof of residency. The name and address on these documents must match the name and address of the parent or legal guardian of the student(s) being registered. Learn more about the types of documents accepted for proof of residency.
- Immunization Records. Iowa law requires a parent to verify proper immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B and varicella to enroll in school. Learn more about the types of immunizations needed based on your child’s age.
- Proof of Age. Proof of age is required for all new students to the WDMCS. In Iowa, a child must be five years old on or before September 15 of the year he or she starts school in order to enroll in kindergarten. For students in grades one through 12, proof is also required before your child can start attending school. Learn more about the documents accepted for proof of age.
- Health History. You will be asked to enter general health history information for each student you register. Depending on the age and/or grade of your student, additional information may be requested.
- Home Language Survey. All new students to WDMCS are required to fill out a Home Language Survey. If it is evident the student has a native language other than English, the child and family are referred to the child’s designated school for registration and assessment for possible ESOL services. This survey is available in 22 languages.
- Do Not Release Information. You will be asked if photos or videos of your student can be taken. In addition, this allows student information to be listed in school yearbooks and directories.
Step 2: Enroll online. Once submitted, we will contact your child’s prior school (if applicable) to request their records.