Mission and Vision
We understand a students’ education is an important part of their life journey, and we are committed to their success. At WDMCS, students will gain knowledge and develop skills to prepare them for life. The excellent opportunities we offer enable students to explore their interests and achieve their potential because we believe every student can find their place in the WDMCS.
Working in partnership with each family and the community, it is the mission of the district to educate responsible lifelong learners so that each student possesses the skills, knowledge, creativity, sense of self-worth, and values necessary to thrive in and contribute to a diverse and changing world.
The WDMCS will be a caring community of learners that knows and lifts every child. We will inspire joy in learning. Our schools will excel at preparing each student for their life journey.
Portrait of a Graduate
A West Des Moines Community Schools graduate will possess the essential skills and integrity to communicate, collaborate, and solve problems as a confident citizen, embracing our diverse and changing world.
- Communicator: Conveys ideas and information respectfully, purposefully, and effectively through multiple means.
- Collaborator: Interacts to work effectively and respectfully with diverse teams to accomplish a common goal or task.
- Critical Thinker: Accesses and analyzes key information to develop, create, or innovate solutions to complex challenges.
- Global Contributor: Applies work to real world situations to serve an authentic purpose. Learns from and works collaboratively with individuals representing diverse cultures, religions, and lifestyles in a spirit of mutual respect and open dialogue.
- Innovator: Explores and experiments in a climate of change; builds resilience through risk-taking and setbacks.
- Continuous Learner: Thoughtfully considers feedback and works toward accomplishing goals.