West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) has been inspiring joy in learning for more than 100 years.
We are a caring community that knows every child as an individual and offers them a place to belong. With approximately 9,000 students, around 1,200 employees, and 13 schools, we can provide each student with the opportunities and resources they need to succeed.
A public school district accredited by the Iowa Department of Education, the WDMCS is located in central Iowa. It is part of a vibrant suburban area directly bordering Des Moines, the capital city of Iowa. The metro area offers a wide variety of arts, entertainment, sports, and shopping opportunities and recently earned the No. 4 spot on MONEY Magazine’s Top 100 Best Places to Live list.
WDMCS works with our community members and district families to educate lifelong learners who will thrive in our diverse and changing world. We enable students to explore their interests through a wide variety of excellent opportunities, including:
- New Tech project-based schools. We became the first Iowa school district to offer New Tech schools, where students learn through real-world projects and all children are assigned a personal digital device, in 2015.
- Artful Learning. We have one of the state’s only Artful Learning schools, inspired by Leonard Bernstein.
- 1:1 devices. WDMCS provides a Chromebook for every student in grades 3-12.
- Foreign language classes. Students begin learning Spanish in fourth grade, and our high school offers more foreign languages than nearly any other school in Iowa. Incoming kindergartners can also register for our Dual Language Spanish Immersion program, starting with the 2018-19 school year.
- Award-winning arts programs. WDMCS students can join orchestra as early as fourth grade, band as early as fifth grade, and show choir starting in seventh grade. Valley High School provides high-quality co-curricular opportunities in theater, art, and music and was the first Grammy® Signature School award winner.
This is just a glimpse of the dynamic learning community that makes up WDMCS. We welcome you to learn more about us!