The following rules have been developed for safety reasons:
- Students must show their bus passes to the bus driver upon boarding the bus.
- Students must obey the bus driver at all times.
- Noise on the bus is to be kept at a reasonable level. No shouting or other loud noises on the bus or out the windows is allowed.
- Students must remain seated at all times. Aisles are to remain clear of feet and other items.
- The bus must be kept clean at all times.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed on the bus.
- Students waiting to board a bus should stand a safe distance from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop and the doors are opened. Pushing or shoving while waiting to board the bus is not permitted.
- In case of an emergency, all riders are to remain seated in the bus unless otherwise instructed by the driver/other adult in authority.
- Students must ride only their assigned bus. Students will not be allowed to ride an alternate bus.
- If a student disobeys the rules, he or she will be issued a Bus Conduct Report.
Infractions of the rules result in the following actions:
- First Offense: Bus Conduct Report is sent home for parent’s/guardian’s signature
- Second Offense: Phone call to student’s parents/guardians and suspension of transportation privileges for one day
- Third Offense: Suspension of transportation privileges for three days
- Fourth Offense: Suspension of transportation privileges for five days
- Fifth Offense: Suspension of transportation privileges for 30 days
- Sixth Offense: Suspension of transportation privileges for remainder of the school year
Please Note: Discipline may carry over to the next year.
In cases where more serious disciplinary problems occur, the following procedures are followed:
- The driver reports the incident immediately to the transportation supervisor and fills out a discipline report.
- The Transportation supervisor immediately reports the incident to the building principal.
- The principal meets with the student, and a member of the Transportation Department contacts the student’s parents/guardians with the intended plan.
For the following severe bus conduct infractions, transportation service may be immediately suspended for a minimum of five days. Transportation privileges could be suspended for the entire semester or school year depending on the severity of the incident and the student’s number of previous discipline infractions. The transportation supervisor and the student’s principal determine the extent of the corrective action.
These incidents include:
- Fighting or threatening others on the bus
- Using profanity or obscene gestures toward the bus driver or others on the bus
- Throwing or shooting items in the bus or out the windows
- Igniting fires, smoking, or using a controlled substance on the bus
- Severe safety distractions such as pointing laser lights at the bus driver or other students on the bus
- Putting hands, arms, and other parts of the body outside the windows
- Any activity on the bus that could severely jeopardize the safety of the students on the bus
- Harassing behavior
In cases where severe conduct infractions occur, the Transportation Department may send a representative to the bus to remove the child or children involved. Students who feel they are being treated unfairly in a transportation matter should report the matter to the principal.