This is a comprehensive list of information and resources that families and staff in our communities may find beneficial. Please note that this page will continue to be updated throughout the West Des Moines Community Schools’ temporary closure.
Questions About COVID-19? Call 211
A public hotline has been established for Iowans with questions about COVID-19. The line is available 24/7 by calling 211.
Please click one of the links below to jump to the set of FAQs on that topic.
- Food/Nutrition Community Resources
- Wellness Community Resources
- Technology Community Resources
- Financial/General Support Resources
- City Information
Food/Nutrition Community Resources
WDMCS Breakfast & Lunch Plans for On-Site, Online Learners
Des Moines Area Religious Council
DMARC food pantries that are located in our communities include:
- Clive Community Services
- grab-and-go meals; food rescue distribution is being suspended.
- Mondays: 4-7 p.m.
- Fridays: 9 a.m. to noon
- pick up pre-bagged food in the parking lot, 2190 NW 82nd Street, Suite A, Clive
- West Des Moines Human Services
- curbside food pantry model
- Mondays: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.; 4-6 p.m. (evening time each second and fourth Tuesday)
- Wednesdays: 8:30 a.m. to noon
- Thursdays: 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Fridays: 8:30 a.m. to noon
- pick up food at the back doors (southeast corner of building), 139 6th Street, West Des Moines
Wellness Community Resources
In a crisis, or if you are in need of immediate support:
- call 911
- contact Employee Family Resources (EFR) at 1-800-327-4692 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- contact Iowa Crisis Chat at iowacrisischat.org or 1-855-325-4296
- contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
Employee & Family Resources (EFR)
WDMCS partners with Employee & Family Resources (EFR) to support students, staff, and families through the Student Assistance Program and Employee Assistance Program.
- Employee Assistance Program: If you are looking to access the EAP, you can reach out to EFR via phone at 800-327-4692 or by email. In addition to phone and email, EFR has a web chat option here. Telehealth options are available in place of in-person counseling in many locations via Zoom or telephone effective March 18, 2020.
- Student Assistance Program: 24/7/365 phone support available. Zoom or phone assessment, referral, and brief counseling sessions also available. Effective March 23, 2020, EFR will be offering SAP sessions by phone to students who have been seen onsite at their school. To access services, please call 515-244-6090.
CASEL (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning)
Social-emotional learning resources designed to support educators, parents, and anyone who works with children during this COVID-19 period. (designed for grades 6-12)
Greater Good in Education—Berkeley
Social-emotional learning activities and practice resources, including themes of mindfulness, empathy, kindness & compassion, gratitude, and self-compassion. (designed for grades K-12)
House of Mercy
House of Mercy has now joined the Mercy Pediatric and Neurology and Psychiatry Center, located at 411 Laurel St., Suite 3310 in Des Moines. House of Mercy has immediate openings for children and adolescents in need of mental health services, where it provides medication management, neurological evaluations and mental health therapy.
The facility is open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. It is closed on Fridays.
Iowa Department of Public Health
Some populations are more at risk for coronavirus, or impacts of social distancing. IDPH has provided resources and information for people facing additional risk.
National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
The National Association of School Psychologists has compiled talking points and tips for talking with children about COVID-19 (designed for grades K-12)
Please Pass the Love
In response to COVID-19, PPTL has created a response campaign called Storms Don’t Last Forever #SDLF with some online programming and resources for youth of all ages and educators.
Polk County Health Department
Polk County Health Department has several back-to-school resources for families, children, and schools including:
- COVID-19 fact sheet
- Eight Ways to Help Kids Adjust to Face Masks
- Checklist for parents
- Stay home when sick handout
- Why quarantine for 14 days handout
Polk County Health Services
In response to COVID-19, Polk County Health Services has provided several resources for social-emotional health.
UnityPoint Health Behavioral Health Urgent Care
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, along with Eyerly Ball Community Mental Health Services and Orchard Place/Child Guidance Center, works to provide mental health, psychiatric evaluation and assessment, addiction medicine, crisis services, and community resources to patients of all ages, both pediatric and adult.
The clinic will be open to patients from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week. This is a walk-in site of care, no appointments available at this time.
University of Iowa TeleMobile Clinic
This is a University of Iowa student-run nonprofit organization that offers free basic healthcare services to anyone who needs it. They provide:
- free online/phone medical appointments,
- general health education, medication refills,
- discussion of COVID-19 concerns,
- social work appointments, and
- mental health referrals.
Patients do not need insurance. Services are available in English, Spanish, Arabic and French. Call or text 319-535-2684 to sign up.
Technology Community Resources
WDMCS Tech Blog
Follow the WDMCS Technology Department blog for technology-related COVID-19 updates and all things tech about WDMCS.
If your child qualifies for free or reduced school lunches, you could qualify for discounted home internet from Mediacom as low as $10 per month.
Shop the best West Des Moines internet providers. Compare internet plan pricing and speeds from cable, DSL and fiber-optic providers in your area.
Financial/General Support Resources
- Information for Undocumented Iowans (en español/English)
- Iowa Department of Revenue: Tax Implications for Iowans
- Iowa Workforce Development: COVID-19 Information Page
- United Way COVID-19 Community Economic Relief fund (support for bills, rent, and food)
- Iowa State University: Polk County Extension and Outreach Online Resources (reliable, research-based resources including resources for/about kids and youth, health and wellbeing, agriculture, and economic development, plus hotlines)
City of Clive
- For updates and additional information, please follow the City of Clive on Facebook.
Clive Community Services
- Clothes Closet: The Clothes Closet is closed to clients and donors. Please hold your donation until a later date.
- Amazon Wish List: Drop off items for donation at office, open:
- Mondays: 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Fridays: 9 a.m. to noon.
- Please call ahead to ensure someone is in the office: 515-257-8550.
- You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange drop off or pick up.
- Pantry and Clothing Volunteer Sign-Up
City of West Des Moines
- For updates and additional information, please follow the City of West Des Moines on Facebook and Twitter.
West Des Moines Human Services
- Clothing Closet: The Clothing Closet is closed to clients and donors. Please hold your donation until a later date. Please call 515-222-3663 if you have a specific donation you would like to drop off.
- Program Outreach/Emergency Assistance Services: These services have been temporarily suspended. Please contact Program Outreach staff via phone or email to discuss your situation:
- Transportation: Transportation is not provided for those with cold or flu-like symptoms. Please call your healthcare provider if you are feeling ill.
- Free Medical Clinic: The free medical clinic is closed through Tuesday, March 31.
- ELL Classes: These classes have been delayed by four weeks. A tentative start date has been set for Tuesday, April 21.
- Friendship Connection: All activities have been canceled through March.
City of Windsor Heights
- For updates and additional information, please follow the City of Windsor Heights on Facebook and Twitter.