This page is intended to be a source of information about COVID-19 and provide links to the most updated information on how it is impacting our West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) community.
Get COVID-19 Updates
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus. COVID-19 originated in Wuhan, Hubel Province, China. It is being closely monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
How it Spreads
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
- It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
- Shortness of breath
Call your doctor if you…
- Develop symptoms, and have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19.
- Have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19.
What You Can Do To Help
Families and community members can help by following these simple, easy steps that help prevent the spread of ALL contagious viruses, including COVID-19. Practice the same routine hygiene used to help prevent the cold and flu.