Gifted/Talented (GT) Program
The West Des Moines Community Schools recognizes that every student possesses unique abilities, talents, and needs which require an appropriately differentiated program. The Gifted/Talented (GT) Program will facilitate, provide, and support programming for gifted and talented students. This programming includes opportunities and options that differ from and/or complement the regular curriculum in breadth, depth, pace, or in the kind of experience offered.
The Gifted/Talented (GT) Program provides opportunities for gifted and talented students to become independent, lifelong learners.
- We believe gifted and talented learners require differentiated academic experiences as well as opportunities to explore their passions and interests in order to develop their talents, promote self-direction and self-reflection, and to encourage lifelong learning.
- We believe gifted and talented learners have specific social and emotional needs, which should be addressed through programming.
- We believe that providing a supportive environment which allows and encourages gifted and talented learners to realize their potential is a responsibility shared among school personnel, family, and community.
- We believe gifted and talented learners need opportunities to collaborate and learn with their intellectual peers.
- We believe that identification for the Gifted/Talented (GT) Program must be an ongoing and systematic process.