The goals for our Special Education program in the West Des Moines Community Schools are aligned with state law and the federal Individuals with Disability Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) law, which:
- Assures all children with disabilities are provided a free, appropriate, public education designed to meet their unique needs.
- Protects children’s rights and the rights of their parents or guardians.
- Assists state and local districts in providing education that assesses students’ strengths and weaknesses and assures the effectiveness of the educational efforts.
Special Education Enrollment
Families who move to WDMCS and have a child with an Individualized Education Program Plan (IEP) will find similar student-focused programming and services at each of our schools.
- The majority of our students with disabilities attend their neighborhood school. Students with more significant needs may receive services as designated school buildings.
- As soon as you have found a home within the district, it is important to complete the necessary requirements for student registration.