COVID-19 Transportation Mitigation Strategies
To protect the health and safety of passengers when riding on a WDMCS school bus during the outbreak of COVID-19 the following strategies will be implemented for the 2020-2021 school year:
Passenger Health and Safety
- All passengers are required to wear a facial covering while getting on the bus, riding, and exiting the bus.
- Students not wearing face coverings will be handled in accordance with our transportation discipline policy which could result in suspension of riding privileges.
- Transportation Services is adjusting seating procedures to make contact tracing as efficient and accurate as possible. Bus riders will now be assigned a seat on their bus that will be used during both the morning and afternoon bus rides.
- Siblings or those living in the same home will be assigned to sit together.
- When possible, students will enter the bus and begin seating near the back of the bus, filling the seats toward the front.
- When possible, students will exit the bus beginning with those seated closest to the front.
- Students will avoid congregating in the bus aisle.
- Drivers will sanitize “high-touch” surfaces between each run throughout the school day.
- All surfaces will be sanitized at least once per day.
- All buses will be deeply sanitized monthly using an antimicrobial surface protectant that protects for a month empowering the surface to continually keep germs from being passed from one person to another.
- No food or drink will be consumed while on the bus.
Driver Health and Safety
- Consistent with Iowa Department of Public Health guidance, drivers who have COVID-19 symptoms should not report to work to drive a school bus.
- Face shields will be provided to drivers. Face coverings will be required to use when loading and unloading students. Their use will be optional for drivers while the bus is in motion.
- Drivers will be provided gloves and hand sanitizer for their personal use.
- Special needs bus assistants will be provided facial coverings and gloves. Assistants will be required to use facial covering when students are present.
The West Des Moines Community Schools covers 36.6 square miles. District boundaries are irregular but generally lie north of Warren and Madison county lines, south of Urbandale Avenue, east of the Dallas County line, and west of 63rd Street.
Did You Know?
- We transport approximately 3,300 students each day.
- We drive 41 routes to and from school each day.
- We traveled 560,500 route miles on average during the school year.
2102 Delavan Drive
West Des Moines, IA 50265
Assistant Transportation Director
Activity/Billing and Bus Pass Fees
Bus Passes and Walnut Creek Campus Routing
Carrie Van Weelden
Special Needs Routing and Non-public Reimbursements