West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) has been inspiring joy in learning for more than 100 years.
We are a caring community that knows every child as an individual and offers them a place to belong. With approximately 9,000 students, around 1,300 employees, and 13 schools, WDMCS can provide each student with the opportunities and resources they need to succeed.
WDMCS works with our community members and district families to educate lifelong learners who will thrive in our diverse and changing world. We enable students to explore their interests through a wide variety of excellent opportunities, including:
- Project-Based Learning (PBL) schools. In 2015 we became the first Iowa school district to offer project-based schools, where students learn through real-world projects and all children are assigned a personal digital device.
- Artful Learning. We have one of the state’s only Artful Learning schools, inspired by Leonard Bernstein.
- 1:1 devices. WDMCS provides a Chromebook for every student in grades PK-12.
- Foreign language classes. Students begin learning Spanish in fourth grade, and our high school offers more foreign languages than nearly any other school in Iowa. Incoming kindergartners can also register for our Dual Language Spanish Immersion program, starting with the 2018-19 school year.
- Award-winning arts programs. WDMCS students can join orchestra as early as fourth grade, band as early as fifth grade, and show choir starting in seventh grade. Valley High School provides high-quality co-curricular opportunities in theater, art, and music and was the first Grammy® Signature School award winner.
This is just a glimpse of the dynamic learning community that makes up WDMCS. We welcome you to learn more about us!
We understand a student’s education is an important part of their life journey, and we are committed to their success. At WDMCS, students will gain knowledge and develop skills to prepare them for life. The excellent opportunities we offer enable students to explore their interests and achieve their potential because we believe every student can find their place in the WDMCS.
Working in partnership with each family and the community, it is the mission of the district to educate responsible lifelong learners so that each student possesses the skills, knowledge, creativity, sense of self-worth, and values necessary to thrive in and contribute to a diverse and changing world.
The WDMCS will be a caring community of learners that knows and lifts every child. We will inspire joy in learning. Our schools will excel at preparing each student for their life journey.