Summer Food Service Program
The Summer Food Service Program was created to ensure that children continue to receive nutritious meals during long school vacations when they do not have access to school lunch or breakfast. This program helps children get the nutrition they need to learn, play, and grow throughout the summer months when they are out of school.
Each year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture partners with local organizations like West Des Moines Community Schools to provide free meals to children when school is out for the summer. For more information about the national Summer Food Service Program, visit https://www.fns.usda.gov/sfsp/summer-food-service-program.
2024 WDMCS Summer Food Service Program
More information will be available some time in May 2024.
Summer 2023 P-EBT
The Iowa Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Education were approved for the Summer 2023 Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT). Data for this program will be based on Student Reporting in Iowa (SRI) from year end spring SRI submission. Eligible students will receive $120 each ($40 per month for the summer) for the use of purchasing food. Students and families may use their benefits to purchase eligible food items anywhere SNAP EBT cards are accepted. Funds will be mailed to student households via a new P-EBT card.
To be eligible for P-EBT, students must meet ALL of the following criteria based on data from May 2023
- Student was enrolled at a school participating in the National School Lunch Program during May 2023
- Student attended school in person
- Student was in grades K-12 during May 2023
- Student was eligible for free or reduced price meals by one of the following methods:
- 2022-2023 Free and Reduced Price Meal Application was approved by May 31, 2023
- Attended a 2022-2023 CEP School and was still enrolled in May of 2023
- Directly Certified during the 2022-2023 school year prior to May 31, 2023
The following groups are NOT eligible:
- Students who graduated or dropped out of school prior to May 2023
- Virtual academy, homeschooled or dual enrolled students
- Students who were in Preschool during May 2023
For more information regarding Summer P-EBT benefits:
Call the P-EBT call center at (515) 420-6048, open Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm
Nutrition Services Director
Nutrition Services Assistant Director
Kitchen ManagersStilwell, Fairmeadows, Hillside, Walnut Creek515-633-6001Valley, Crossroads, Western Hills, LRC515-633-4308Valley Southwoods, Jordan Creek, Westridge515-633-4600Indian Hills, Clive, Crestview515-633-4701