New Home School (HSAP) and/or Dual Enrolled Student Enrollment

  • To start enrolling a student new to the district for our Home School Assistance Program (HSAP) and/or for Dual Enrollment, please fill out our online enrollment form in Infinite Campus.  This enrollment will include the questions from the state required Competent Private Instruction (CPI) Form A and a link to FERPA information.  You will not need to complete a separate CPI form.
  • Step 1: Check Availability

    Before completing online enrollment, contact Tami Prescott at for program availability.

    Step 2: Gather Information

    You will need certain information and documents to get started. Documents can be scanned and uploaded online or mailed to/dropped off at the Registrar’s Office at the Learning Resource Center – 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines.

    You will need:

    • Proof of residency. The student’s and parent/guardian’s names and addresses must match on proof of residency documents, listed below.
    • Immunization Records. Iowa law requires parent/guardians to verify certain immunizations. Required Immunizations (based on age)
    • Health History. Please enter general health history information for each student, including names of medications.
    • Do Not Release Information. You will be asked if photos or videos of your student can be taken. In addition, this allows student information to be listed in school yearbooks and directories.
    • Proof of Age. Proof of age is required for all new WDMCS students. Documents are listed below. 
    • Course of Study.  You will be asked to complete a course of study as required on the Competent Private Instruction (CPI) Form A.  This includes title of text, text publisher or author, and time spent on each subject taught at home for language arts, math, science, and social studies/history.
    • Courses for Dual Enrollment (if applicable).  If your child will be dual enrolled at one of the WDM schools, you will need to list the courses/activities they will be dual enrolled for.
  • Step 3: Enroll Your Home School New Student

    A new WDMCS student is one who is enrolling in WDMCS directly after attending another district or being home schooled. New students can enroll year-round but most enroll for a new year during the summer. Once submitted, we will contact your child’s prior school (if applicable) to request their records. We must have their records before your child can start attending WDMCS.

    When enrolling, you will be asked to choose one of the following:
    1. Are you enrolling for our WDMCS Home School Assistance Program (HSAP)?
    2. Are you enrolling for our WDMCS Home School Assistance Program (HSAP) AND Dual Enrollment at one of the WDMCS schools?
    3. Are you enrolling for Dual Enrollment ONLY at one of the WDMCS schools (No HSAP)?
    When enrolling for Dual Enrollment ONLY at one of the WDMCS schools (No HSAP), you will need to choose one of the following as required by the state:
        • Student will be above compulsory age (sixteen years of age by September 15)
        • Student will meet with a parent-selected licensed teacher. You will need to provide the licensed teacher's name, folder number and address.
        • Standardized Testing Results Report will be submitted by August 1.
        • Accredited Correspondence School Report will be submitted by August 1.

    Enroll a Brand-New WDMCS Family (2023-24 School Year)

  • Step 4: What's Next for Your Home Schooler?

    Thanks for completing online enrollment!  If you have not already been in contact with Tami Prescott, the Home School Assistance Program (HSAP) and Dual Enrollment coordinator, please email her at


  • Proof of Residency

    All new students entering WDMCS must provide the proper documentation to establish proof of residency. The name and address on these documents must match the name and address of the parent or legal guardian of the student(s) being registered. Acceptable proof of residency documents are:


    One of the following:

    • Printed verification page from the Polk County Assessor’s web page.
    • A copy of your most recently paid property tax bill.
    • A copy of a recent mortgage statement.
    • A copy of a utility bill for the last of current month.

    Recently closed on a new home

    A copy of the settlement statement from closing or a warranty deed.

    Recently made on offer on a home

    A purchase agreement showing the closing date on your home. Upon closing on your home, provide a closing document to the Registrar.


    One of the following:

    • A copy of your lease agreement with the term listed. The agreement MUST contain property owner’s name, address and signature; and name and signature of parent/guardian.
    • A utility bill for the last or current month, mailed to your address within WDMCS boundaries.

    Renter without a lease (on a month-to-month basis)

    • A utility bill for the last or current month, mailed to your address.

    Note: Proof of residency requirements may be waived for unhoused youth. Learn more on our "Homeless Youth" web page.


    Proof of Age Requirements

    Proof of age is required for all new students to WDMCS. In Iowa, a child must be five years old on or before September 15 of the year he or she starts school in order to enroll in kindergarten. Proof of age is requested at Kindergarten Roundup and required prior to the start of school. For students in grades one through 12, proof is also required before your child can start attending school.

    Several options are acceptable:

    • A state birth certificate
    • A passport
    • Adoption papers
    • A certificate obtained from the county the child was born.
    • For Polk County: Polk County Recorder’s Office, 111 Court Ave., Room 245, Des Moines, IA 50309-2251; Phone: 286-3781; Cost is $20
    • A state certificate can be obtained from: Iowa Vital Records Bureau, Lucas State Office Building 321 E. 12th, Des Moines, IA 50319; Phone: 281-4944; Cost is $20
Last Modified on November 14, 2023