Family Support Groups
To best support underserved/underrepresented students, West Des Moines Community Schools partnered with district families to create support groups for adult family members and caring adults of students of color and LGBTQIA+ students. Both groups launched in the 2021-22 school year and provide parents, guardians, and other caring adults with support networks and opportunities to learn, grow, and share resources.
The mission of the WDMCS Family Support Groups is to support, educate, and advocate for vulnerable and underrepresented student groups in WDMCS. We believe that organizing and connecting is a form of self-care and an act of self-preservation for ourselves and our families:
- Support: We provide support for parents/guardians so that we can nurture our children to be strong and resilient, proud of their identities.
- Education: We are a resource for educating our community in areas of race, ethnicity, racism, gender, and sexual orientation in our pursuit of equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Advocacy: We advocate for our own children and all vulnerable student groups in the district, specifically by working with building equity leads and equity teams.
Families of Students of Color
This group will meet monthly. The whole family is welcome.
- Sept. 28 (Welcome Event)
- Oct. 19
- Nov. 9
- Dec. 14
- Jan. 18 — Canceled
- Jan. 29 — Joint meeting with LGBTQIA+ Students Family Group
- Feb. 15 — Canceled
- March 22 — Canceled
- April 19 — Canceled
- May 17 — 5:30 p.m., virtual meeting (updated with correct time and virtual)
For more information, please email FSOCinWDMCS@gmail.com.
LGBTQIA+ Students Family Group
This group will meet from 7-8 p.m., typically on the last Wednesday of the month. Meetings will take place in the WDMCS Learning Resource Center Community Room, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines, IA. The whole family is welcome.
- Oct. 27 (Welcome Event)
- Nov. 17
- Dec. 15
- Jan. 26 — Canceled
- Jan. 29 — Joint meeting with Families of Students of Color
- Feb. 23
- March 30 — Canceled
- April 27
- May 18
For more information, please email email@example.com.
We invite you to RSVP to family support group meetings and submit future meeting topics and other feedback through our online form. We look forward to connecting with you at our future meetings!