The Intercultural Engagement mission is twofold: 1) to provide multilingual families with the support and resources they need to ensure that their children achieve school success and 2) to strengthen cross-cultural connections in our community.
Intercultural Outreach Office
Learning Resource Center
3550 Mills Civic Parkway
West Des Moines, IA 50265
The Intercultural Engagement team works directly with parents and families of English Learners (ELs) to empower them to become involved in all aspects of their children’s education. In collaboration with WDMCS and community organizations, we engage families through language-specific presentations, workshops, and orientations that focus on topics such as:
- How to create an environment of learning at home
- How to communicate effectively with school staff in spite of literacy and language barriers
- How to connect to school and community resources
- How to participate in their children’s learning for greater school success
- Goals and expectations for WDMCS students
The team also leads the following learning opportunities for EL students and their families:
In the Community
The Intercultural Engagement team also promotes cross-cultural learning through community events and activities throughout the year.