Nutrition Update: Memorial Day & Summer Meals
Meal service from West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) Nutrition Services will be changing for the summer months, starting June 2. Drive-thru locations will also be closed on Memorial Day.
Current WDMCS meal sites will be closed for Memorial Day on Monday, May 25. Extra meals will be given out at Friday meal distribution. Meals that would have been delivered on May 25 will be delivered on Friday, May 22.
Sites will reopen and serve meals on Wednesday, May 27, and Friday, May 29. Then, summer meal service will begin on Tuesday, June 2.
Summer Meal Service
WDMCS will serve summer meals at three grab-and-go meal sites, starting Tuesday, June 2.
- Dates: June 2-Aug. 13
- Times: noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Summer Grab-and-Go Meal Sites
- Valley High School
- Stilwell Junior High
- Crestview School of Inquiry
- Signage directing traffic will be posted at each location.
- Boxes with 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches will be provided for each child.
- Vehicles will need to enter drive-thru lines as directed and open their trunk or back hatch for boxes to be placed in vehicle.
- Driver will then need to pull forward and exit vehicle to shut trunk or hatch.
- Staff will not be allowed to touch vehicles to open or shut trunks and hatches. Staff will be required to keep a 6-foot distance from all vehicle occupants.
Parent/guardians can pick up meals for children 1-18 from any of the WDMCS summer meal sites. No identification or registration is required, other than stating the name of your child.
Summer Home Delivery
Summer home delivery will remain on Monday and Wednesdays.
The WDMCS Summer Meal Service was made possible by the extension of three nationwide waivers by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). Extending the waivers through Aug. 31 gives child nutrition programs the flexibility they need to continue to feed children while promoting social distancing and keeping families safe.
For families, the waivers mean:
- WDMCS can serve grab-and-go meals to support social distancing (Non-Congregate Feeding waiver)
- parent/guardians can pick up meals and bring them home to children (Parent Pickup waiver)
- WDMCS can provide multiple days worth of meals at one time (Meal Times waiver)
WDMCS Nutrition Services Department upholds the USDA Nondiscrimination Statement, the Iowa Civil Rights Commission Nondiscrimination Statement, and the WDMCS Non-Discrimination Policy.