WDMCS Canceled Remainder of 2019-20 School Year
In a news conference Friday, April 17, Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds announced that Iowa K-12 public schools would be closed for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year. She explained the extended closure was necessary to protect the well-being of students, staff, families, and the broader community. It was also announced Friday that high school sports spring seasons are canceled. Summer sports seasons are still being assessed by state officials.
WDMCS shared in an April 9 communication that in light of the current school closure, we would provide voluntary educational enrichment opportunities for our students. This was one of three options the Iowa Department of Education provided to districts.
Although this plan was initially created to support student learning through April 30, we will extend the plan through the end of the school year. Elementary teachers will continue to provide weekly learning opportunities to K-6 students, and secondary teachers will engage students in course-specific learning opportunities through Canvas.
Now that we know students will not return to school this academic year, WDMCS leadership will follow additional guidance from the Governor’s office and the Iowa Department of Education related to the closure, summer programming, etc., and will prioritize:
- Pick-up of personal items from the school buildings. Each building will send more information coordinating pick-up to families soon
- Senior celebrations, including graduation, Honors Night, National Honor Society induction, and athletics recognition
- Impact of other events scheduled in the coming weeks
- Summer academic opportunities, including Stretching Minds and Summer Enrichment Adventures
- Summer athletics, activities, and camps
- 2020-21 academic year impact, including tryouts for fall activities and back-to-school activities that begin in early August
Thank you for your patience as we work through these priorities to support our students through the COVID-19 pandemic.
While we can’t be together physically, please know that we are thinking of each WDMCS student, family, and staff member. You are important to us, and we will continue to connect with and support you virtually. We are WDMCS!