Coronavirus: WDMCS March 16 Update
APRIL 17 UPDATE: Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds announced that Iowa schools will be closed for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year.
Get COVID-19 Updates
West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) is receiving daily updates from Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds’ office and local health authorities on the coronavirus and its impact on our community. As a result, we are working to address several important topics that impact our staff and families.
Here’s what we know today:
- WDMCS schools will be closed until at least Monday, April 13. We will provide additional updates in the coming weeks if we are unable to resume school at that time.
- Gov. Reynolds will sign legislation waiving the instructional time requirement for school days missed during the next four weeks (through Friday, April 10). This means we do not believe students will need to make up any of the days missed between now and April 10. She also requested the authority to extend the waiver, if needed. How this impacts graduation requirements and state requirements for students to move to the next grade level still needs to be determined. WDMCS administrators will work to address these issues.
- WDMCS athletic practices and activities are canceled effective immediately. All spring activities of the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union, the Iowa High School Athletic Association, the Iowa High School Music Association, and the Iowa High School Speech Association will be suspended through Sunday, April 12.
- All WDMCS Community Education events and classes are canceled through Sunday, April 12.
- All community events scheduled in WDMCS buildings are canceled through Sunday, April 12. A full list of all canceled events will be available online this week.
- WDMCS Nutrition Services will begin serving “grab-and-go” meals starting Monday, March 23, at six WDMCS sites. More details will be emailed this week.
- Families who may need to pick up their student’s medicine should call or email their building principal. They will coordinate a time for you to be able to stop by and pick up medicine by Tuesday, March 24. A list of principals’ email addresses can be found online: https://www.wdmcs.org/directory/
- We are collaborating with city managers and other agencies to provide a comprehensive list of resources available within our community. This list will be posted online this week.
You may have additional questions beyond the information provided. Please be patient as we work on more details and make adjustments based on recommendations provided by the Governor’s office and health officials.
Please continue to practice the recommended preventative steps to remain healthy. You are an important part of WDMCS! #weareWDMCS