Join Us for National School Lunch Week Oct. 10-13!
To recognize the National School Lunch Program and the 30 million children it serves every day, the West Des Moines Community Schools will celebrate National School Lunch Week from Oct. 10-13. Families are invited to eat lunch with their children during National School Lunch Week. If you would like to join your child, please call your child’s school to reserve a meal and find out specific meal times. Students will also be able to participate in these activities throughout the week:
- “I Tried It” Bingo Tuesday
- Pick up a bingo card in the school office or cafeteria on Tuesday. Try the food items listed and mark them off on your card. Then, turn it in to a cashier or lunchroom helper to receive a prize!
- Wacky Meal Wednesday
- Eat a wacky meal with wacky names to celebrate National School Lunch Week! Cafeteria staff will also dress in wacky clothes and hats.
- Menu: pig in a blanket made by the Valley High School bakery, smashed pumpkin potatoes, jiggly wiggly jello with fruit, and a fruit and veggie bar
- Throwback Thursday
- For Throwback Thursday, West Des Moines Community Schools will serve a meal that was popular in the district years ago.
- Menu: hot beef sundae (shredded roast beef and gravy served over a slice of bread and mashed potatoes), peas, and a fruit and veggie bar
- Frozen Fruit Cup Friday
- Get a 100% Fruit Frozen Juice Cup with your lunch purchase when you eat school lunch on Friday.