WDMCS Offers Career and Technical Education Starting in Junior High
The West Des Moines Community Schools Career and Technical Education (CTE) program is a pathway to explore, discover, and launch a student’s future.
Formerly called vocational education, Career and Technical Educational programs specialize in the skilled trades, applied sciences, modern technologies, and career preparation. It offers both academic and career-oriented courses. Teachers seek to encourage students to explore opportunities aligned to their interests through holistic career guidance, exploratory rigorous coursework, and work-based learning opportunities.
Here are just a few of our offerings:
- Business: 7th Grade – Financial Literacy
- Family Consumer Science
- 7th Grade – FCS Exploratory
- 8th Grade – Foods
- 8th Grade – Sewing
- Engineering Technology
- 7th Grade – Technology Education
- 8th Grade – Exploring Technology
- 8th Grade – Gateway To Technology (PLTW)
- Business: Foundations of Business
- Family Consumer Sciences
- Engineering Technology: Foundations of Technology and Engineering
Valley High School
- Business: 18-course offerings (2018-2019)
- Family Consumer Science: 11-course offerings (2016-2017)
- Engineering Technology: 20-course offerings (2016-2017)
A full list of Valley High School’s CTE course offerings is available here: www.wdmcs.org/schools/valley/academics/curriculum/catalog/
For more information about Career and Technical Education offerings in your school, please contact your school counselor. School contact information is available here: www.wdmcs.org/district/our-schools/.