Local Writers Win the WDMCS Reads Poetry Writing Contest
The West Des Moines Public Library and the West Des Moines Community Schools are excited to announce the winners of the WDMCS Reads Poetry Writing Contest.
The poetry contest is part of WDMCS Reads, reading initiative that invites residents our community to read and discuss the same book.
The winners of the poetry contest are:
- Annabelle Penar, a student at Western Hills Elementary, is the winner of the kindergarten through third-grade category.
- Luke Nelson, a student at Western Hills Elementary, is the winner of the fourth- through sixth-grade category.
- Sydney Pearl, a student at Stilwell Junior High, is the winner of the seventh-eighth grade category.
- Abby Ringgenberg, a student at Valley Southwoods, is the winner of the ninth-grade category.
- Isabella Avila, a student at Valley High School, is the winner of the 10th- through 12th-grade category.
- Pamela Thomason of West Des Moines is the winner of the adult category.
The winners will receive a book by Newbery Medal-winning author Kwame Alexander courtesy of the West Des Moines Public Library. They will also have the opportunity to meet with Mr. Alexander during his visit to West Des Moines on March 31, 2016. Mr. Alexander’s book “The Crossover” is the inaugural selection for WDMCS Reads, and he will give a public reading and presentation at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 31, at the Staplin Performing Arts Center, Valley High School, 3650 Woodland Ave., in West Des Moines.
For more information about WDMCS Reads and the West Des Moines Community Schools, please visit www.wdmcs.org/wdmcs-reads. For more information about the West Des Moines Public Library, please visit www.wdmlibrary.org.