Cost-Saving Measures Presented, Public Feedback Sessions Scheduled
On Monday, Nov. 23, district administrators presented 15 possible cost-saving measures for the West Des Moines Community Schools Board of Education to review to help address growing expenses as revenue declines.
Proposed Cost-Saving Measures
1. Eliminate 360 feedback.
- Estimated Savings: $10,500
- Details: The 360 Feedback is an HR-related tool through which employees receive confidential, anonymous feedback from the people who work around them, such as peers, managers, and direct reports. Iowa law requires teachers receive some type of feedback and a less expensive feedback tool would be sought.
2. Cut China trip expenses and visitors from China.
- Estimated Savings: $80,000
- Details: The district hosts visitors from a sister-school in Shijiazhuang, China and sends students and staff to China. The budgeted costs go toward hosting activities and to pay for staff travel.
3. Eliminate printed school district activity calendar.
- Estimated Savings: $7,000
- Details: The printed activities calendar is currently provided to district parents and staff free of charge. The estimated savings is from printing costs only. All information is available online in the district’s online calendar. Possible options are to charge for the calendar or sell ads to cover the production costs.
4. Remove all non-essential classroom printers. (Sales Tax Fund Saving for Device, General Fund for Supplies & Maintenance)
- Estimated Savings: $30,000
- Details: The estimated savings is based on reduced printing budgets and removal of non-essential printers.
5. Eliminate Gallup Teacher Insight screening tool & replace with Teacher Fit and Job Fit.
- Estimated Savings: $16,700
- Details: Gallup Teacher Insight is an online assessment used as part of the application process. Teacher Fit and Job Fit are similar application process tools.
6. Holding meetings (grade level) after school hours. Hourly pay in lieu of a sub. (Pilot)
- Estimated Savings: $2,000
- Details: There are meetings held during the school day in the district that teachers attend. When this occurs, a substitute teacher must be hired to cover classes. This option proposes holding some of these meetings after school outside the contracted hours and paying teachers an hourly amount to attend. This would be a pilot program.
7. Eliminate Des Moines Art Center Scholarships.
- Estimated Savings: $6,707
- Details: The district provides funds for approximately 50 students to attend classes at the Des Moines Art Center during the summer.
8. Replace outsourced security with newly hired support staff.
- Estimated Savings: $20,400
- Details: Valley High School currently contracts with the Conley Group for four security guards. This option proposes the district hiring support staff to cover these duties.
9. Reduce summer days at secondary level – Flat percentage (10 percent = $4,600, exclusive of Counselors, non-categorical)
- Estimated Savings: $4,600
- Details: There are approximately eight certified staff members who work additional days in the summer due to position duties and who are paid for those days.
10. Eliminate planning period for department chairpersons at Valley High School (.125 FTE $95,000).
- Estimated Savings: $95,000
- Details: Subject-area or department chairpersons are selected at each building site with related duties. Certified staff members in grades 10-12 receive an additional planning period for this work. This option would require each department chairperson at Valley High School to teach an additional period.
11. Eliminate Japanese.
- Estimated Savings: $38,600
- Details: Valley Southwoods Freshman High School offers Japanese I and Valley High School offers Japanese I, II, III, and IV as full-year elective courses. Japanese is one of six world languages offered at Valley. Options would be provided for students currently taking Japanese to complete their studies.
12. Phase out German by not offering German I (.25 FTE).
- Estimated Savings: $12,800
- Details: Valley Southwoods Freshman High School offers German I and Valley High School offers German I, II, III, and IV as full-year elective courses. German is one of six world languages offered at Valley.
13. (A) Eliminate 1st & 2nd Grade FLES. Keep FLES in 3rd-6th grades.
- Estimated Savings: $143,300
- Details: The district’s current Foreign Language in Elementary School (FLES) program provides Spanish instruction for 60 minutes each week in grades one-six.
13. (B) Eliminate 1st-3rd Grade FLES. Keep FLES in 4th-6th grades.
- Estimated Savings: $197,000
- Details: Based on feedback provided by the School Board at its Nov. 23 workshop, an alternate #13 option is being reviewed. The alternate option proposes eliminating FLES in grades one-three and maintaining instruction in grades four-six.
14. Reduce the number of meeting times for general music in grades 1 – 3 from 90 to 60 minutes.
- Estimated Savings: $123,000
- Details: The district currently provides general music instruction in grades one- six for 90 minutes every week. This proposal reduces that amount to 60 minutes per week for grades one-three, providing the same number of instructional minutes as provided for physical education and art.
15. Eliminate 3-year-old general education preschool.
- Estimated Savings: $120,000
- Details: The district currently offers 3-year-old general education preschool at a subsidized cost to parents. This option would eliminate the 3-year-old general education preschool and provide openings to 4-year-olds preschoolers, for which there is state funding. This option would maintain all current preschool teacher positions.
These 15 options total an estimated $710,607 in savings. 2014 Tregoe List of Cost-Saving Options (Unimplemented)
Learn More and Provide Your Feedback
The district is offering staff and the community several ways to learn more about these options and provide feedback. District administration will be available on the following dates to share information and listen to feedback:
- Monday, Nov. 30, at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines.
- Wednesday, Dec. 2, at 3:30 p.m. in the Staplin Center at Valley High School, 3650 Woodland Avenue, in West Des Moines.
- Tuesday, Dec. 8, at
- 12:00 p.m. noon in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines.
- 3:30 p.m. in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines.
- 4:45 p.m. in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines.
- Saturday, Dec. 12, at 9 a.m. in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines.
Cost-Saving Measures Presentation (Presentation at Public Feedback Sessions)
In addition, an online feedback form is available.
- Online Feedback Form – The form is now closed. Thank you to everyone who provided input. The feedback will be shared with the budget advisory committee and the Board of Education.
More information about the district’s finances and budget is available here: Budget & Finance