What Do They Do? Teacher Training Day Explained
- analyze current student work and assessments,
- identify the needs of individual students, and
- share ideas and strategies across grade levels or subject areas to help students grow academically.
They will do this work in professional learning communities, or PLCs, which are small groups structured around three key ideas — “Learning for All,” “A Culture of Collaboration,” and “Results Oriented.”
The district will also offer training for elementary teachers on science curriculum. District and community experts will lead breakout sessions for secondary teachers on topics such as:
- Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Working with Refugee and Immigrant Students and Families: Mini-Panel Discussion
- Youth Mental Health
- Growing Gifts and Talents
- Working with LGBTQ Youth and Families: Mini Panel Presentation and Discussion
“The greatest impact we can have as a learning organization is to provide our educators with choices through PLCs and learning offerings focused on our diverse learners,” said West Des Moines Community Schools Associate Superintendent of Teaching and Learning Dr. Laurene Lanich.
Make sure to place the upcoming professional development dates on your calendar. School will not be held on these days:
- January 18, 2016
- February 26, 2016
- April 29, 2016