Valley High School’s “The Wizard of Oz” Features Students From Across the District
Valley High School Performing Arts Department is performing the classic “The Wizard of Oz” as its spring musical, directed by Stacy Hansen. This marks the first Valley High School musical to be performed in the new Performing Arts Center. Performances will be at 7 p.m. on May 1 and May 2, and at 2 p.m. on May 3. Tickets are $8 for students and senior citizens, and $11 for adults. Tickets can be reserved by calling 515-633-4000. Tickets will also be available at the door.
Senior Jessica Martens will be playing Dorothy Gale, senior Elise Ramaekers will portray the Wicked Witch of the West, senior Liz Cleven will play Glinda, and the Wizard of Oz will be played by senior Ryan Voggesser. The Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion will be portrayed by seniors Nicholas Wang, Jared Freiburg and Chase Stine, respectively.
Valley High School and Valley Southwoods Freshman High School students and staff make up the rest of the cast, crew and musicians. Fourth-grade students from the majority of the district elementary schools have also been cast as munchkins. Assistant directors and assistants are Linda Crose (assistant director, costumes, makeup, props director), Ryan Diegnan (vocal director), Haley Gibbons (munchkin ensemble director), Megan Helmers (choreographer), Derek Hisek (technical director), Nicole McBride (munchkin ensemble assistant), Ryan Penning (music assistant), Phil Peters (orchestra director) and Amanda Pichler (assistant technical director, lighting).
Students in the cast are:
- sophomores Grace Barker, Logan Benson, Sarah Braverman, Carter Burmester, Hanna Bush, Kyra Casper, Catherine Christian, AnneMarie Derouin, Becca Dorsett, Jared Fisher, Courtney Graham, Grace Horvath, Zac Johnson, Ryan Jones, Kamden Lee, Nick Lovan, Sofi Mandil, Dion Manuel, Abby McCullough, Meta Miller, Alli Newman, Lizbeth Salinas-Reyes, Julie Sisler, Mara Smith, Owen Snyder, Elena Soto, Jack Standefer, Heather Stout, Andy Thompson, Justine Williamson, Anna Wood, Piper Wood and Trinity Zynda;
- juniors Emily Carr, Sarah Clarke, Emma Cox, Taylor Denman, Lily DeTaeye, Sarah Estes, Isabelle Fidler, Ashley Gettinger, Sam Gorham, Melissa Grinvalds, Matthew Hrdlicka, Marissa Hudson, Carly Johnson, Ian Ksiazak, Clara Lyden, Paige Marshall, Joshua Miksch, Nico Mulhern, Angelina Mullican, Sharissa Patanapanich, Anthony Reno, Sydney Sheffield, Masha Smirnova, Madison Stegman, Caroline Stump, Pearl Tate, Maren Tuttle, Ramya Vemulapalli and Jake Wheeler;
- seniors Rebekah Conard, Katie Daft, Leah DeClerck, Keaton Denker, Joshua Farmer, Lauren Frederick, Koral Glenn, Andy Han, Nikolaus Kämmerer, Dani Lipman, Augustine Mateo, Alex McNunn, Anna Mokricky, Lauren Pfeil, Derek Pham, Marisa Potts, Grady Stein, Melanie Taylor, Annie Weinberg and Danny Williams; and
- fourth-grade students Ainsley Aherns, Tyler Anderson, Tatum Bartlett, Maddy Baumann, Jay Bell, Elizabeth Bettenhausen, Britney Block, Michael Cameron Jr., Niya Copeman, Marisas Cravero, Emerson Drake, Grant Engelbert, Macy Engelmann, Reese Ford, Henry Golay, Anna Hansen, Lily Hansen, Dylan Hoyt, Bette Jess, Abby Johnson, Abigayle Johnson, Malia Kelly, Mallory Kitt, Ally Landis, Asher Lipman, Natalie Maxwell, Grayson McAvoy, Madison Mendenhall, Ella Moore, Thea Natvig, Steffen Poulsen, Caroline Reynolds, Danielle Salas, Kenyan Smith, Dawson Stine, Nathan Tenney, Delaney Turner, Gracianna Venerable, Charlie Westemeyer, Owen Westemeyer and Haley Wince.
The crew members are:
- sophomores Tommy Anderson, Rheanne Ames, Sadie Baker, Ben Burright, Quinlynn DeSomber, Beth Hammond, Cheyenne Hammer, Jamie Hanson (also a musician), Catie Judge, Evalyn Ngugi, Brillian Qi-Bell, Cheyenne Raney, Nora Raine, Blake Richards, Joshua Rodriquez, Danielle Roth, Isabella Vettese and Katie Wilson;
- juniors Sam Berry, Jenny Bryant, Kathryn Catellier, Ali Davis, Luke Dawson, Dawson Edwards, Reid Epstein, Graham Hagan, Grant Hillenbrand, Rob Kristan, Connnor McCarville, William McCreary, Morgan Pech, Cole Reels, Katie Ringgenberg, Luke Spencer Rustin, Noah Septer, Spencer Tramontina and Cody Thompson; and
- seniors Ian Adam, Katherine Essman, Cheyenne Hensley, Emma Carolyn Kazeze, Sarahi Lopez, Erin McCauley and Caleb Rush.
Musicians for the musical are:
- freshman Matthew Christensen, Aleia Manning and Corinne Watters;
- sophomores Erin Claeys, Zoe Cobb, Anders Glad, Jamie Hanson, Alanna Maxwell, Guowei Qi and Chelsea Sapp;
- juniors Joe Beal, Brittany Burklund, Olympia Manning, Elliot Smith and Elizabeth Watson; and
- seniors Julia Anderson, Nick Behrends, Ann Braverman, Alex Buentello, Camilla Giraudo, Grant Gullickson, Josiah Hintz, Sophia Jordan, Elle Little, Jared Paine, Abi Roach, Hannah Willard and Brianne Zbylicki.