Human Growth and Development Parent Previews Oct. 6
Human Growth and Development curriculum, per senate file 2094, is required in the K-12 curriculum of Iowa schools. WDMCS students in grades four, five and six are shown videos as part of this curriculum that address topics such as puberty, body changes, adolescence, hygiene and healthy living.
Fourth Grade – “Just Around the Corner”
Videos are presented in gender separate classrooms. Boys watch the boys video and girls watch the girls video.
Fifth Grade — “Always Changing”
Both girls and boys see the same video, but in gender separate classrooms.
Sixth Grade — “Straight Talk About Puberty”
Girls and boys see the same video in their gender combined science classroom.
Parents are invited to a video previewing October 6 at the Learning Resource Center.
- 4th Gr. Girls Video at 6:30 p.m.
- 4th Gr. Boys Video at 7 p.m.
- 5th Gr. Girls/Boys Video at 7:30 p.m.
- 6th Gr. Girls/Boys Video at 8 p.m.
Any parent who cannot make the Oct. 6 previews are welcome to watch the videos at any time at the Learning Resource Center. Please call 633-5062 to set up an appointment.
- Students are provided an opportunity to ask questions anonymously or verbally. Instructors respond to questions in a fact-based, non-judgmental or value-oriented approach.
- Each elementary building will schedule a specific date and time to show the videos. Please check with your child’s teacher for details.
- Parents may request that their child be excused from viewing the video or provided an alternative learning experience. If you elect NOT to have your child view the video please contact your child’s teacher in advance.