2015-16 Approved Calendar (UPDATED May 3, 2015)
UPDATE: The first day of school for the 2015-16 school year will now be Monday, Aug. 24, based on a school calendar approved by the School Board on April 13, 2015. More information can be found on the 2015-16 calendar and the Board’s approval can be found here:
FROM MAY 13, 2015: The West Des Moines Community Schools Board of Education has approved the 2015-16 school year calendar with a start date of August 12, 2015.
The Board approved the calendar after a public hearing was held on May 12, 2014.
2015-16 Calendar Recommendation
- First Student Day: Wednesday, Aug. 12
- Thanksgiving Break: Nov. 25-27
- Semester 1 Ends: Tuesday, Dec. 22 (90-Day Semester)
- Winter Break: December 23-January 3
- No School For Students (Staff Flex Days): November 25 & March 11
- No School For Students (Staff Work Days): September 21, January 4, February 26, April 29
- Spring Break: March 14-18
- Last Student Day: Friday, May 20 (90-Day Semester)
Please note these key features of the proposed calendar:
- The August 12 start date accommodates all that the district wants to accomplish within the parameters of The Code of Iowa, The Iowa Administrative Code, the teacher and support staff contractual agreements and the feedback from parents and staff.
- The November 25 and March 11 flex days are again part of the calendar. There is no school for students and staff because certified staff held parent-teacher conferences after contract hours.
- Winter break is eight (8) school days. Students return Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2016.
- There is no school for students and staff Monday, Jan. 18, 2016, which is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Spring break is five (5) school days.
- September 21, January 4, February 26, and April 29 are designated as teacher professional development days. No school for students.
- Certified staff finish the school year before university summer courses begin.
- The calendar is based on instructional hours.
- The first semester ends at winter break, with each semester being equal in number.
- The proposed calendar maintains the Wednesday collaboration schedule for school staff, which is key for utilizing teacher leaders and implementing professional learning communities district-wide.
The proposed 2015-16 school calendar was developed through the work of a district calendar committee, which includes parents and teachers representing each school attendance center in the district. The calendar was reviewed by superintendent advisory committees, the Superintendent’s Leadership Cadre, and the Superintendency.
In developing the proposed calendar for the 2015-16 school year, the committee considered information from: The Code of Iowa; The Iowa Administrative Code; teacher and support staff contractual agreements; student, parent and staff surveys; metro schools’ proposed calendars; district historical data; and religious and national holidays.
2013-14 & 2014-15 Calendars
Please see the links below for the Board-approved 2013-14 and 2014-15 school year calendars.