Teacher Leader: Answers to a Few of Your Questions
As the Teacher Leadership Committee continues to research various teacher leadership models, several questions have come in from our “Submit a Question” form on the website.
All questions are being forwarded to the committee for review and consideration.
While the committee has not yet determined a model and does not yet have details, it can start addressing some of your questions.
Here are a few:
1. How many Teacher Leaders will be selected?
It’s too early in the process to know, but the state has provided guidance on this stating, “the district must demonstrate a good-faith effort of selecting at least 25 percent of the teacher workforce to serve in leadership roles.”
2. Will there be an interview process in addition to an application?
An interview process is likely. The state has said that a district must have a rigorous selection process that includes:
- “A selection committee that includes teachers and administrators to accept and review applications for assignment or reassignment to a teacher leadership role and to make recommendations regarding the applications to the superintendent.”
- “Teachers assigned to a leadership role must have at least three years of teaching experience and at least one year of experience in the school district.”
3. With 6 million dollar cuts coming over the next 2 years, how can we justify spending additional money on this teacher leadership program?
The funding for the teacher leaders would not come from the general fund, which is the fund that covers the majority of the district’s operational costs and is currently being reviewed for budget cuts.
Separate funding will be provided by the state specifically for implementing the teacher leadership model.
First, the district would apply to receive the Teacher Leadership and Compensation grant. If approved, the district would receive approximately $2.8 million.
After the first year, the $2.8 million funding would continue to be provided from the state as supplemental state aid. These state funds could only be used for the teacher leadership model.
I have a question!
Please submit any questions, concerns or comments to our “Submit A Question” form. All submissions will be given to the Teacher Leadership Committee. Answers will be provided here and on the Teacher Leadership Committee Webpage.