Heat Advisory & School Activities
Polk County is under a heat advisory today, Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2013 until 10 p.m. While all schools in our district are air-conditioned, the advisory does affect some student activities.
Elementary School Recess
WDMSC elementary schools will follow temperature guidelines from the Iowa Department of Public Health in regard to outdoor recess activities.
- If the heat index is over 90 degrees, outdoor activities will be limited or shortened. Students will be provided unlimited opportunities to access water to assist with hydration.
- If the heat index is over 100 degrees, outdoor recess activities will be cancelled.
Some practices will be modified and provide unlimited water break opportunities.
The following practices have been canceled for today (August 27):
- Junior High Football: No practice tonight and AM practice tomorrow.
- Junior High Cross Country: No practice tonight.
- The Sophomore Football game vs. Waukee, originally set for a 4:45pm Kick off on Friday, August 30 has been moved. The new date and time for the Sophomore Football game is Thursday, August 29 at 7:30pm at Valley Stadium.
- The Varsity Football game vs. Waukee will still kick off at 7:30pm on Friday, August 30 at Valley Stadium.
Please contact your coach or Activities Director Brad Rose for the most up-to-date information.