Board Meeting Summary
The West Des Moines Community School District Board of Education held a meeting on Monday, March 11, 2013 and took the following action:
- approved 2013-2014 Student Fees reflecting a $2 per year increase in textbook fees for grades K – 6 and an $8 per year increase in textbook fees for grades 7 and 8. This aligns WDMCS with the majority of the textbook fees charged by other metro school districts;
- waived the first reading of Board policy series 500 Student Personnel;
- approved the 2013-2014 Kids West Handbook,
- approved an amendment to the district’s existing contract with Iowa Communications Network to increase district Internet services from 200Mb to 400Mb starting July 1, 2013 (monthly cost $2,019.84 with the contract eligible for an addition 46% federal E-Rate discount);
- paid the bills dated March 11, 2013 in the amount of $ 1,092,901.44;
- held a closed session as provided in section 21.5 (1) (e) of the open meetings law to consider whether to suspend or expel a student, reconvened into regular session and suspended a student from a school in the West Des Moines Community School District until the end of the semester;
- approved the consent agenda including personnel resignations, recommendations, support staff new hires, certified staff initial contracts, minutes from the Feb. 25 and Feb. 28 meetings, substantial completion of work done on the Valley High School Phase 2 renovation project by Olympic Companies, Inc., Architectural Arts, O’Keefe Elevator Company, Inc. and Jones Geotechnical Contractors, LLC, and a change order (-$ 13,692) to the Valley High School Phase 3B project from DDVI, Inc. for clarification provided by State Fire Marshal for auditorium flame testing standard, to furnish and install 100 additional donor plates to provide, in total, 500 donor plates for auditorium seating, for clarifications for four door and/or hardware set provisions with confirmation of existing components, window removal on the north wall of new Forum Room, clarifications for millwork assemblies in Room 1649, removal of abandoned ductwork in an old mechanical shaft and floor patching , existing ceiling removal for new ductwork and ceiling installations for the new Sewing Storage Room, deleting upper cabinets and adjusting lower cabinets in Rooms 1641, 1643, 1647, and 1644 to coordinate with range exhaust hoods and garbage disposals, clarified design intent in Rooms 1643 and 1647 to include lower shelving.
Reports included a presentation by the district’s instructional coaches, information on Iowa Assessments and information from principals on the Midyear Building Achievement Reports. In addition, the workshop included a presentation by WDMCS CFO Paul Bobek on the district’s budget.