AC for North Gym, Orchestra Pit Lift Approved
The West Des Moines Community Schools Board of Education held a meeting on Monday, Nov. 5, 2012, and approved alternate bids for phase three of the Valley High School renovation project. This phase of the project primarily includes a new 1,140 seat auditorium, new performing arts practice space and a renovated north academic wing.
The alternate projects that will be included are:
- A separate air handling unit for the administrative area.
- Remodeling the physical education teacher area and relocate the activities director closer to administrative offices.
- A separate air handling unit for the north gym.
- A renovated girls’ north locker room.
- Improvements to the pool area, including new lighting and bleachers and renovated locker rooms.
- A mechanical orchestra pit lift.
- Additional stage lighting and drama curtain modification to use in fine arts practice area
- Acoustical duct liner for the air handling system for better indoor air quality and improved maintenance.
Artificial turf for the practice field at Valley was not approved. The cost of the all the alternates is $1,099,824. With the base bids cost of $25,597,173 including a elevator bids (below), the total contracts for phase three of the Valley project is $26,696,997. Work on the phase three renovations are scheduled to begin in January 2013.
During the meeting, the Board also:
- approved a memorandum of understanding with an anonymous donor for a $920 cash gift to be used to purchase fruit for breakfast at Western Hills Elementary for the remainder of the 2012-2013 school year;
- approved the Kids West Fees for Summer 2013 and the 2013-2014 School Year at no price increase;
- accepted the low bid from O’Keefe Elevator Company in the amount of $109,400 for Bid Issuance #2 – Bid Package #3B06 – Elevators on the Valley high School Improvements Phase 3B project;
- accepted the SystemWorks Phase 3 Test and Balance Services proposal dated 8/29/2012 ($36,425) for the Valley High School Improvements Phase 3B Project;
- approved the consent agenda including personnel resignations, recommendations, support staff new hires, certified staff initial contracts, minutes from the Oct. 17, Oct. 22, and Oct. 24 meetings;
- approved sample West Des Moines Inter-Agency special education contracts and authorized the WDMCS Director of Special Education to sign these contracts;
- approved Hillside Exterior Repair project change order #3 ($33,273) from Hansen Company, Inc. for insulation, grout, additional sheet metal, additional drywall and blocking, removal of millwork, replacing drywall, paint and reinstall millwork, stainless steel angle and sealant, insulation soffit and column surround at main vestibule, angle brackets to carry lintel, to remove, re-work, and re-hang louver screen for damaged plants and overseeding work not done;
- approved VHS Improvements 2011 Phase 2 change order from Hansen Company (-$2,567) to remove projection screens from contractor’s scope, add marker board in teacher workroom and extend countertop in concessions area, change order from Midwest Automatic Fire Sprinkler ($0) to install fire sprinkler, and change order to the Nikkel and Associate, Inc. ($466) to provide and install additional speaker wiring and devices;
- approved substantial completion of work done Hansen Company, Inc. on the Hillside exterior renovation, approved final acceptance of work completed by Siemens Industry, Inc. on VHS Improvements 2011 – Phase 1;
- approved final acceptance of work completed by Allied Construction Services Inc., Des Moines Marble & Mantel Co. Inc., Summit Fire Protection and Van Maanen Electric, Inc. on Walnut Creek Campus;
- approved final acceptance of work completed by Wolin and Associates on the Valley Southwoods 2012 Upgrades;
- denied two open enrollment requests for not meeting the deadline and not meeting good cause;
- approved a contract amendment with OPN Architects, Inc. ($13,992) for the Hillside Elementary Exterior Renovation project for the extended contract time of two months, additional scope and time spent with district’s legal counsel;
- approved a contract with Laser Resources Inc. (LRI) to provide fixed toner cartridge pricing for a one year period;
- approved to pay the bills dated November 5, 2012 in the amount of $ 4,295,348.52.